• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member - looking to own a 28 flush deck

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dataw Island, SC

New Member - looking to own a 28 flush deck

Post by Drew »

It appears they started manufacturing the flush deck in 2002. Can someone confirm? We have two we are previewing...one with a Volvo 310 and one with a Yanmar 315 (both in the 2003-2005 era). In searching the posts there does not seem to be a strong preference. Have seen posts that Volvo parts are expensive...and then similar comments about Yanmar. Also aware of the Yanmar issues and will stay away from their problem engines. Any other comments appreciated.

Just sold our 220 Shamrock and looking to move up to the 28. This forum seems to be as helpful as the Shamrock forum.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Member - looking to own a 28 flush deck

Post by RicM »

The Yanmar engine valve problem, which I think you are referring to, was primarily,if not totally, before the manufacture of most flush decks, and only effected engines designated as 300hp. While the engine didn't actually change except for the redesigned valve guides when re-rated as 315hp, any that are officially designated 315 should not have the bad valve guides. You can always call Mack Boring with the serial #s from the block for confirmation. That said, the Yanmar was the MUCH more popular engine, and generally preferred on the resale market. This might translate to a slightly higher asking price, but will generally return the favor on the other side and be easier to sell as well. We are getting close to the 1,000 hour mark on our 03' Yanmar engine, and it has been a reliable and very thrifty performer. I could not be more pleased.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
afrayedknot
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Goose Pond Marina, Scottsboro, AL (TN River Mi 378)

Post by afrayedknot »

Ric - During the time you've owned your 315 Yanmar, have you had the valves adjusted? How often? Cost, if you don't mind? I have received conflicting information as to the need to periodically adjust them, most of which came from Cummins owners. Thanks for any input you may have.
Bob on "A Frayed Knot" 36ET
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I have had the valves adjusted once, as per Yanmar maintenance schedule, and I think there's another one due at the 1,000 hour mark. Where are you getting advice from Cummin's owners? If it's from BoatDiesel.com, take it with a grain of salt, if it's from the TheHullTruth.com I advise you to delete that bookmark from your browser if you want any peace. Both forums are overpopulated by people who spend WAY too much time online arguing with each other, and not enough time on their boats. Unfortunately there's a lot of boat owners online who need to put down whatever brand of boat or motor they don't own to make themselves feel better about the boat they do own ( and are currently upside down on). Read the Detroit Diesel owners forum on boatdiesel.com and you'll swear there hasn't been a decent diesel made since 1965. Volvos & Yanmars & anything that turns faster than 1200 RPM are "hand grenades", and the turbo is the devil's work on the 7 seas.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

To confirm your first question - Yes the flush deck model came out sometime in 2002. I believe that it was later in the year. I ordered my flushdeck in Feb. of 2003 and was offered hull #1 of the flushdecks but decided to configure the options and wait for her to be built.

Here's a couple of shots from construction in '03

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Post by Albinflorida »

The flush deck was actually first released as a 2003 model. Note the early 2003 boats had a 1.5 inch lip at the edge of the pilothouse, known as a "toe buster" They did away with that and made a true flush deck later in the model year. Yanmar and Volvo are equally good engines, dependable, but with pricey parts. Both are quiet, Cummins is not. The Yanmar sold 10 to 1 over the Volvo, so you will see more.
Doug J
Former Albin dealer
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790

Return to “New Member Introductions”