• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery Removal

Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Battery Removal

Post by Vic T »

We have a 1987 36' trawler that we purchased three years ago. It is time to replace the house batteries that are 2 Trojan T-105 6V house batteries. They are located in an really bad location in behind the engine and in a corner. I am getting new batteries but could not even lift the old batteries up when looking for the battery information. I know I am going to have a problem removing them as they are in that corner and difficult to reach and hard to lift up.

Does anyone have any "tricks" or tools for removing the batteries? The two batteries are in a white plastic battery case for the two batteries. It is on the back side of the engine and transmission just aft of the one of the diesel tanks. Unfortunately there is no access panel close or above. First thing I checked. Any ideas would help. THANKS.

Vic
Albin Batt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Battery Removal

Post by jleonard »

Can you slide the whole box out to an area where you can lift them?
Maybe use a couple of 2x4 pieces to build a ramp to help slide the boxes?
Not knowing the exact location these are things you might think about to help.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Based on your photo I would use a piece of pipe through those rope handles and some kind of support (2x4 on end) at the back of the battery box and lever the battery up and out. Once clear of the sides of the box I'd slide two more pipes into those little notches and slide /roll the battery forward. A few pieces of 1/2" galvanized pipe would do the job and would be easy to store for the next time.

Just make sure you don't short out the battery! That would make things exciting!! Some tape or a cover on the + terminal would be a great first step! :shock:
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic T »

Thanks for the suggestions. I may use both ideas. I would like to slide the box out or perhaps tip it. The engine is the issue but perhaps using some wood as a ramp or bridge will get the batteries over enought to lift up. If not, I will try to lever it out. I am going to tape the connectiors and the terminals just in case. I will let you know how it goes. The batteries should be in late this week.

Thanks....Vic
westrivertrawler

Post by westrivertrawler »

Do you have an access door to the transmission behind the ladder to the aft stateroom as my '87 does? My battery box in your location was abandoned long ago by a previous owner and converted to storage for spare parts. The only way I can get the box out, if I have to, is through that door. Good Luck!
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic T »

You are correct that the only access is the door in the aft cabin and it is not close to the battery box. I wish it had been relocated but it is unfortunately still in this location...not a great design for working on the two batteries. I will let you know how it goes...

Thanks....Vic
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

I would tie two pieces of 1/2 inch line to each side and have two people lift them out with someone guiding it from below.

Golf cart batteries aren't that heavy, just awkward.
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic T »

The removal of the batteries was successful...I used rope on the handles and pulled them up to clear the top of the battery box. Once clear of the battery box, I was able to lift them enough to get them out along the side where two other batteries are located. Al-in-all, it was not too bad. I used a combination of the ideas to do it. Thanks for the responses...it helped.

Vic

Return to “36/37/40/43”