• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Done Deal

lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Done Deal

Post by lpbp »

Happy to say we are the owners of a 94 -28 . She arrived by truck to day to her Lake Erie port of Port Dover Ontario from Maryland . She has only 570 orginal hrs on her volvo . She was in need of some major repairs and the owners did these through insurance And we ended up with her for a very good price .How good of a price --enough that Canada Customs questioned the bill of sale for a while at the boarder . All she needs now is a good cleaning and waxing and TLC .
And yes Ric she is a I/O ,but that fits in to shallow water issues and the beaches we can get into . The previous owners have been great . The 5 months from the time we found the boat , failed the survey and sale called off to the sale back on and repairs done has been quite the never ending story . 2 road trips to Maryland and countless phone calls , the friendship that struck up between us has been unbelievable . It looks like a another 10 hr drive for a holiday weekend with this great couple .
It was 830 when I finally jumped in the truck and headed for the farm . The bad thing is work tomorrow and won,t be able to see her until tomprrow night . But 5 day weekend coming up starting Friday.
And for Ric and John , work tomorrow is the vessel BBC Mississippi [ship spoting.com]through the Welland canal , L Ontario to L Erie [ And Ric this one has a rudder and her thruster is only 500 hp and you would love to play with this one variable pitch propeller and variable pitch on the thruster ].
Looking forward to hearing from Don on his big summer cruise and any help I can give him for the Welland Canal when he gets up here .
Well enough said , Oh and the name is Ramilia after my 2 grand kids, Rafe and Amilia.
Thanks for all the info I have received here , it been great . when we get her cleaned up and I figure out how to post a picture ,I will share it with you all
LPBP
Nowhere Special
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Catawba Island, Lake Erie

Re: Done Deal

Post by Nowhere Special »

CONGRATS! on your new 28. Although I am located on the western end of Erie, it's nice to know there are others on the Great Lakes.
Enjoy.
Dave
Dave
1999 28TE Aba Daba
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Best of luck and congratulations!! We went through all kinds of challenges buying our boat but it all worked out well and we love being Albin owners. Get ready for all of the admiring looks from fellow boaters! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Question . I got our new purchase in the water and after 8 hrs chasing dwn a dead short caused by improper grounding and truck ride .She runs great. 4 boat rides between this and getting the hay in the barn for the wifes horses. We did cleaning and changed some wiring and this is a far as I got .I have been called away out of town for work since the 5th and wont be home till the 18th. I did not get a chance to evan look at the water system . So can any body give me a good place to start to start tracing sytems , flushing ,and what ever I need to watch for on this 94 -28 . Is the wash dwn on water tank . my questions might be many on this old girl. THX
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Questions How are those Micro Waves mounted in the old 28,s . cant seem to get it to move and don,t want to break anything yet . It looks like it separates from the mounting bracket ????? And how do you get at that 110 out let in the back of there? {OR is it just that tight and live with it } Another - how big are the waste tanks in these early model 28,s [94 ] Quite a learning curve going on here . Been so busy at work out of town , that boating days and Albin work days are behind. Haven,t even turned the water on yet . Any surprises here ? Well Enjoy the summer THX
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Your boat is probably similar to my 97 model and if everything checked out with the surveyor there should be few or no surprises. The previous owners are probably your best source for information on whether the fresh water system is clean but you can put a gallon or two in and run it out before filling. I never drink the ship's water anyway. If you have air conditioning you might want to read some of the other strings on this site about priming after the boat has been out of the water. I think the holding tank is 10 gallons. Your I/O drive should do fine in fresh water. Good luck and hope you enjoy the boat.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

lpbp wrote:Questions How are those Micro Waves mounted in the old 28,s . cant seem to get it to move and don,t want to break anything yet . It looks like it separates from the mounting bracket ????? And how do you get at that 110 out let in the back of there? {OR is it just that tight and live with it } Another - how big are the waste tanks in these early model 28,s [94 ] Quite a learning curve going on here . Been so busy at work out of town , that boating days and Albin work days are behind. Haven,t even turned the water on yet . Any surprises here ? Well Enjoy the summer THX
The waste tank in a 28 is almost certainly a 6 gallon. So use it sparingly or visit the pump out often!

As far as I know you can loosen the microwave bracket by opening the door and removing the screws on the leading edge.

Finally, each spring I put about 2 capfuls of regular clorine bleach in my water tank, fill it, run all the faucets until I can smell it and the let it sit for 30 minutes. Run it dry and fill it with fresh, run dry again and then fill. I also use "aqua bon" water treatment to keep the water fairly fresh. You can find it at West Marine. Just make sure you use the "freshener" and not the cleaner, which are sold side by side, and you should be good to go.
Doug
Sonny IV
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

A cap full of regular bleach everytime you take on water is always a good practice, it will prevent anything from growing in the system, from mold and mildew to algie and bugs. We've done it for years on all the boats we've owned.
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Well after 2 weeks off and playing with the new boat , lots learned . 1 is still trying to find somebody small enough to get in at everything under the deck below the helm.. Man oh Man is that tight and stuck once . But we are enjoying ourselves , no long trips , just out in Long Point bay on L Erie . Day trips with 2- 5 hrs on the engine and anchored off at the beaches and catching up on the swimming and fishing . The volvo is burning 5 Gal/hr at 19-20 kts at 3000 rpm,s . Top speed is 23.5 kts at 3600 rpms .She seems to like the rpms to give us 17 to 20 kts or rpm,s for 10 to 12 kts or less . How is this compared to the inboard diesels in the 28,s ?
The old North Star 951xd is alittle tempermental , DGPS ant and Gps ant have seen better days so a up grade coming for spring . I am new to these small plotters with the Nav trans chips . Looking at the Standard Horizon 300 for next year .I run the Nav Sim program for my Laptop at work with AIS and GPS , with the NOAA charts and C map as a back up . I dont want to lug that back and forth to the boat every trip and end up dumping it on the deck. So what I do have is the upper and lower Chesapeke bay chips for any body that is interested ,they are no good to me ..
She is turning heads in the Hbr , I have been asked about 100 times " what kind of boat is that " . Every one seems to like the lines of the Albin . So not enough Albins here for a get to gether yet .
Well enough said , holidays are coming to a end , so my fuel bill and my wallet will get a small break [ Worth every penny ]And once again thanks for the input LPBP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

lpbp wrote:... 1 is still trying to find somebody small enough to get in at everything under the deck below the helm.. Man oh Man is that tight and stuck once ..
Have you removed the L-shaped hatch at the starboard footwell?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

The L shaped opening does not exisit in this older model. I WISH !!!!!! But thx any ways . Lots of little things to keep me busy on the old girl . 2 years on the blocks and nothing being used didnt help . But she is coming along nicely . Its a good thing I am busy at work , had a seal go in the water pump . No parts until thursday . But she is getting used , 40 hrs on the engine since July 2nd. and many hrs anchored fishing and swimming at the beach,s . Thx again LPBP
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Rob was just showing off how neat and clean his mechanicals are! I swear you could eat off of that bilge! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:Rob was just showing off how neat and clean his mechanicals are! I swear you could eat off of that bilge! :)
You did, I forgot the big bowl so Erika did all the salad prep in the center bilge :shock:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:You did, I forgot the big bowl so Erika did all the salad prep in the center bilge :shock:
I thought it had a little extra "something" in it!
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”