• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

cockpit tent

MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stamford CT

cockpit tent

Post by MeyrickP »

Has anyone ever built a collaspable cockpit tent?

What I have in mind is a lightweight tent-like cover from the cabin top to the transom with flexible tent poles from each set of rod holders?

Any leads as to where to have such a cover built?

Thanks
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
DJFARREN

Re: cockpit tent

Post by DJFARREN »

Hi, the previous owner of my A28 TE DEFIANT had such a tent made. Any canvas company should be able to make one. Mine attaches to the after edge of the cabin roof with luff rope on the awning into a sleeve on the roof. There are two adjustable poles which go into the after rod holders. A traverse rod threads through the after end of the awning and sits atop the two poles. The poles are tied down at the stern cleats with parachute cord. The awning folds up small and stores behind the settee. The poles and rod store in the rod holders.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

DJFARREN wrote:Hi, the previous owner of my A28 TE DEFIANT had such a tent made. Any canvas company should be able to make one. Mine attaches to the after edge of the cabin roof with luff rope on the awning into a sleeve on the roof. There are two adjustable poles which go into the after rod holders. A traverse rod threads through the after end of the awning and sits atop the two poles. The poles are tied down at the stern cleats with parachute cord. The awning folds up small and stores behind the settee. The poles and rod store in the rod holders.
Dan,
Do you have any pictures? The admiral has been asking for the same thing. Do you remember the cost?

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mackidaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mackidaddy »

Two thoughts:
I had a makeshift canopy done up by a local canvas guy and used thick wooden dowels as supports coming from the rod holders. My highest priority was to have something easy to put up and take down without any drill holes.
If I was to do it over again, I'd explore the Taylormade Anchorshades. Less costly and portable if you dont mind the support in the middle of the deck. I saw one on a Terry Compton this summer. That boat is sweet. The look of the shade, not so much. Then again, the shade I had done looks a bit sloppy too. It gets the job done, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stamford CT

Post by MeyrickP »

Thanks. Some great ideas. We are going to build our cockpit tent over the winter and promise to keep you all posted when complete.
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Capt Dave39 (Ann and Dave) has a really nice setup that I've been wanting to duplicate for some time now.
Here are shots of their beautiful boat HIDEAWEIGH with the awning. Photos taken during the 2009 NE Rendezvous.

Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
mackidaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mackidaddy »

Gery,
Where did you get those poles for the gunnels and what are they called? They look like a improvement over my mahogany dowels (shown above). Thanks.
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SpaceCoaster »

I've been successfully using the Anchorshade on my 28te during hot/sunny FL days. It's easy to put up and not too expensive. It holds up well except on very windy days. I wouldn't keep it up while moving though.

I consider the Anchorshade solution temporary 'til I can get a more permanent cover fab'd. I picture something that will extend to cover the entire cockpit and collapse part way to permit fishing off the transom. That's a project for another day though.
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

mackidaddy wrote:Gery,
Where did you get those poles for the gunnels and what are they called? They look like a improvement over my mahogany dowels (shown above). Thanks.
Sorry for the really late reply. I'm not sure where Capt Dave39 got them. But it looks like something you can get at Westmarine, or a Defender parts catalog.
You may want to email Capt Dave39.
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”