• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Displacment

lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Displacment

Post by lpbp »

Good morning fellow Albin owners. Cold up here on the N Shore of L Erie +7 F this morning . I have a small question to ask . What figure do they use on a 90,s-Albin 28 for displacement weight. I have seen the figure of 7800 lbs around the sight but I also saw this as dry weight of a new boat on a 1994 Albin prochure. So what figure is used for Displacement tonnage ?
Money being spent all ready , last week was the Toronto boat show , 2 hr drive up & back and the wallet quite a bit lighter . Cdn dollar being par with US made for some good deals on products out of the US . Including new boats.
No Albins but there was the 30 and 40 ft Sabers. Nice . Those new I pod drives makes every body a boat driver.
Thanks again
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Displacment

Post by DougSea »

Are you looking for a tonnage number for documentation? If so mine is listed as a Gross of 10 and a Net of 8.

Typically when I talk to someone about the "weight" of my 28 I use 8,000+ pounds. I believe the dry weight of 7,800 from above is reasonably correct for a "dry" 28TE, i.e. no fuel, water, or gear.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Just a quick clarification. Tonnage for documentation is a measure of volume, not weight. Documentation uses Net Tons. It's basically a measure of how much cargo a boat coup carry.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Displacement is the weight of the water that the boat displaces , which in most cases it is close to the weight of the boat . I was going to use about 10000 lbs , 1000 LBS in fuel , 250 LB in FW water , gear and 2 people .
I see by the responce that I was close in 7800-8000 lbs for dry weight . Because this boat has the I/O, I am doing a prop calculation to see if I have the right DP props . The aft one is gettig a touch thin .
The only answers I can get from Volvo [Volvo diesel and DP Outdrive] is that they "Could" be right . Thx again Scott
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Well after a cold weekend up here, minus 15 f this morning and hrs researching the world of volvo duo prop . I have found out that I am close , and might be able to go dwn one size as to run engine at all proper RPM,s .
I know guys --ITS A I/O but it fits the purpose of Long Point Bay shallow water issues and it IS a ALbin .But it did get the wife into more boating and now she -yes she is saying when we get a bigger boat.
Now if this was a straight shaft I would have had a no Brainer. There is is a old commerical shipyard in town that is preatty much closed . The owner is 92 and the sons in there late 60,s . The old owner is one of the smartest marine men I know and still has all his wits about him . For the price of a coffee and your boat info and maybe a boat ride he would fit your boat prop size off the top of his head . And it would be right .
The biggest mistake I did make was I built my shop -garage too small or I should of bought the boat first then built . Who would of thought that a heated 40 x26 hip roof building 10 ft 6 ceilings up stairs and dwn was too small . Could you imagine the work that would be getting done . And the thought of taking a chain saw and cutting a door in the end has crossed my mind ,but then the damn horse barn is in the way for driveway extension. ( Also the wife would kill if I disturbed anything in horse world]
I see you east coasters are getting it again , well I would rather have the snow then this cold . The good thing is another month and we got it licked

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”