• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

"lightening" old teak

erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

"lightening" old teak

Post by erice »

i've got a 21 year sabreline, and some of the teak in the interior is quite dark (specifically the steps and the trim around the salon floor. do you think using a very fine bronze wool with a cleaner or perhaps turpentine would help? thanks.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: "lightening" old teak

Post by jleonard »

I would try just the wool. I always use sandpaper, something like 120 or 150 to lighten teak. All you need to do is remove the "dirt".
Then finish or leave. I finish interior teak in satin polyeurethene.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My wife is a antique dealer. She uses "Goop" or "GoJo" (mechanics hand cleaner) and 0000 steel wool. Very good for fine wood.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

Assuming this is raw teak, get a gallon of "Sudsy Ammonia" from the 99 cent store. Put some in a spray bottle, spray it on, maybe scrub a little with a sponge. Rinse with water. It will get the dirt out of the wood.

I clean all my raw teak that way. It works far better than the stuff that's expensive and caustic.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Much more labor intensive but we strip sanded the entire main salon floor and refinished it. looks great now, not new but that classic aged look.
The Lass 153.jpg
The Lass 155.jpg
The Lass 1205.jpg
The Lass 1206.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “36/37/40/43”