• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dash Layout on 28TE

dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Dash Layout on 28TE

Post by dkircher »

Hi all,

I am amazed at the variety of dashboard layouts on the TE's. Since I have ordered a new VHF/AIS, I need to consider how to integrate it into my current instrument layout. The Raymarine VHF on the boat now is in an inconvenient location behind the shift lever. I know that I can't locate the radio too close to the compass. Note that after this picture was taken, we upgraded the GPS. It is mounted in the same location as the old one.

Any thoughts on mounting locations? How difficult is it to snake wires into the area above the windshield? I have attached picture of my current setup.

Thanks for you advice! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Dash Layout on 28TE

Post by Pitou »

dkircher wrote:Hi all,

Any thoughts on mounting locations? How difficult is it to snake wires into the area above the windshield? I have attached picture of my current setup.

Thanks for you advice! :D
Dave, The area above the windscreen is a sensible spot for the VHF as it puts the digital screen in a visible position and the speaker at close to ear level. I've been kicking around a move for my VHF to this location. Currently my VHF is at knee level where your windlass controls are located. Sure is hard to here when underway!

Last spring I added a seperate Furuno sounder and located it to the area above the windscreen. Getting the wiring to this position was relatively easy. Access points to snake wires are gained by removing the starboard panel on the wheel house behind the helm seat and the small oval starboard panel above the windscreen. Once those panels are removed it's easy to run a fish tape through the roof and connect the two. Good luck whatever you decide.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Kevin,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I would have spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to fish the wires without it. I agree that having the VHF at eye level (and ear level) is a real advantage. I'll bet I'm not the only Albin owner having trouble hearing the low-mounted radio with that diesel engine roaring away. The Admiral suggested headphones to listen to the radio. I nixed that.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

dkircher wrote:Kevin,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I would have spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to fish the wires without it. I agree that having the VHF at eye level (and ear level) is a real advantage. I'll bet I'm not the only Albin owner having trouble hearing the low-mounted radio with that diesel engine roaring away. The Admiral suggested headphones to listen to the radio. I nixed that.
Hey Dave,

I agree with Kevin that overhead is a great place to mount the radio.

What I wasn't prepared for was the effort to get it there! I assumed (always a mistake) that the corner of the headliner in the pilot house was a big open chase, that I could easily get wires through. And on a modern radio there can be a bunch of wires! (Hailer horn, extension speaker, GPS connection, antenna, and in my case remote mike (Icom 504 w/ rear mounted mic) AND a Command mic!)

No problem, plenty of room...

Wrong! :shock:

It turns out there is a piece of ~1" pvc pipe up in that space to act as a chase. Already smaller than what I thought was there but big enough. What caused this simple operation to end up taking a friend and I a full day to finish was the big chunk of epoxy that was blocking the forward end. Someone at the Albin factory got a bit carried away with the gun! There was NO room. (How I know this for a fact is below.) I spent hours trying to get a snake around the corner (I was working through the starboard wiper wire access) and down to the aft side pannel. Then when I finally got one there I couldn't get my connectors through.

So what does one do now?

Give up?

Maybe if I owned a lesser boat, but I'm an Albin owner, damnit!

So out comes the hole saw. My buddy and I went back and forth on where to drill and finally decided on the forward pannel, about an inch from the corner. Opened up a 2" hole, took a peek, and voila! Pink epoxy goop! And we can see the chase! So we clean it out (screw driver and hammer are my friends!) and finish the job in 30 minutes. I popped in a round cover from Home Depot, hole closed, job done.

I tell you all this hoping that "Mister Epoxy" didn't work on your boat, but, if he did, just be prepared. Once I knew where to look/feel I was able to find the aft end of the chase and if it hadn't been blocked this would have gone smoothly without the hole.

I'll look for a photo showing the spot.

And would I do this again? In a heartbeat! Having the radio up high makes it easier to hear and use. I happen to like having the remote mic, but a regular radio would be fine as well, and I have the command mic in the cabin, near the stereo, so I can easily listen in to radio traffic or weather while hunkered down.

Any questions just let me know.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Found some pictures.

Here's a view showing the radio and the cover over the access hole.
HelmOverhead.jpg
And here's a view of the dash. You can see the mic connector and a 12v outlet next to it. The 12v outlet is filling the hole where the mic connector was first installed. Then I went to flip up the footrest... :roll: (Always check your clearences!!)
NewHelm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”