• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Back me up boys, I'm going in.....

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Back me up boys, I'm going in.....

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:2 meters/second = 3.9 knots :lol:

Didn't know that a Baby Ruth could travel that fast. :lol:
Maybe you can connect the discharge direct to a thru-hull out the side of the boat with a slight upward angle and shoot it far enough offshore to be in the legal discharge zone.

So how's the install going..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I was planning on a full update this evening after today's activities, but young Rob being so impestuous, I will fill in the blanks right now for those of you who are lounging about after a hearty Sunday brunch before heading down to the boatyard yourselves.
Yesterday was partly sunny and topped out in the '50 here in RI, and with Miss K out of town (visiting Mom in FL) I have the whole weekend to apply myself to le' affaire d'poopie. Friday UPS brought me all the parts EXCEPT the VacuFlush unit itself from SeaCoast Services, in Seaford NY. George, the owner, had the 10 Gal unit in stock, but opened the box before he shipped and said that the unit "didn't look right" and ordered me a new one, that he promises will be in Monday. I like this guy, he has been very helpful, and the prices on his site are very good....http://www.sealandservices.com/.
I did have the parts necessary to rebuilt the toilet and get started with running fresh hose, so that's what I did. The Vacu-Flush toilet is a breeze to rebuild, I am now pissed that I put it off so long fearing a disgusting, stinky, complicated procedure. After I removed the single large hose clamp around the base, the bowl come loose and is placed to the side and all the parts are right there, and VERY easy to replace following the easy directions that come with the kit. I decided to do the whole routine so I replaced the seals, flush ball, shaft & spring. This replaces basically all the moving parts and for about $70 gives you the equivalent of a whole new toilet. Total time, 15 minutes and required a flat and phillips screw driver only. I had already removed the old hoses last week so I used a heat gun to softened up the new, odor blocking, Sealand hose and snaked it through to the toilet, double clamped it on and cut it, leaving a generous tail to connect to the VacuFlush unit when it arrives.
I want to say that one of the great things about the VacuFlush system, is that little to no effluent remains in the hoses after each use. After 8 years, the old hose had NO crud buildup on the inside, and was dry and pretty much not stinky at all. The only liquid sighted was pink antifreeze. This was WAY less bad than I expected and was prepared for.
I sanded the the shelf where the bilge pump, discharge pump, and Main unit will sit and gave it a hearty coat of BIN sealer (I found in my basement). The area is clean and fully rejuvenated. I attached a mounting block to the inside wall of the hull for the charcoal stink filter and set it in place with a liberal dose of 5200. Albin appears to have never considered the possibility that it's owners s#!t will stink, so there was no filter on the air discharge. Another $70 for the filter and bracket and we'll fix that little issue.
Back today to strip the hose off the midships bilge pump (which fell apart on moving the pump to get the old VHT out) and to clean up and get ready for the big install and plumbing fest next weekend. I may have some photos later today.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:......there was no filter on the air discharge. Another $70 for the filter and bracket and we'll fix that little issue
Thank You! from those of us who will be docked with you at Coecles :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Ok, time for a catch up... the VacuFlush unit arrived UPS today. I decided to bunk work at 2PM and haul it down to TaT see if it was going to fit without a session with Sawzall Dave. The answer? Yes & no. As you can see the new unit is a bit bigger than the old one...
Old&New.jpg
Fortunately the pump and vacuum chamber comes off with 8 bolts...
TankOnly.jpg
This made it pretty easy to drop it into the bilge through the battery access hatch and then wiggle it through and onto the shelf where the old unit sat. The problem that I did not figure on was that being a bit wider, it intersected with the hoses carrying engine coolant to the new water heater I installed last spring. I released the lag bolts and by sliding the water heater over an inch we got by that, but then it became apparent that the unit was bumping into the back of the through hull that exits the midship bilge pump...
IMG_0324.jpg
Defender to the rescue! There is a same size 90 degree through hull fitting made and they seem to think they can get one to me by Friday. We'll see!

So I was replumbing that bilge pump anyway, so I'll replace the through hull and should be ready to screw the new unit down this weekend. Then the vacuum chamber and the pump get bolted back on, everything gets plumbed up and we'll be ready for a test. Hmmm burrito's?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

He said "burritos". That's some funny $hit right there, I tell you what!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

"I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f####n' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

From Good Fellas, funniest god damn movie ever made.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Here it is boys, 2 weeks later, and the job's about done. Yesterday I finished up the plumbing, and today I hooked up the Tank Watch. I think I'm in love, the unit held vacuum for a week! That's right, I got the inputs plumbed last weekend and flushed some antifreeze through to prime it. It pumped down to pressure in about 45 seconds (half the time and much quieter). I then turned off the power and left for 6 days. Came back on Sat AM and flipped the power on, and, what? the pump didn't run! Something wrong? Went to the head and flushed and "WHOOSH" away it went and the pump ran 45 sec and it was down to pressure again! This is a whole different ballgame! Ended up tossing the midship bilge pump and replacing with a Jabsco that doesn't take up as much room on the shelf. That's all plumbed & wired too and works great.

Things I've learned....I would do more with rigid PVC, the flexible sani-hose is a pain in the a$$ to work with. I might have looked into a 3 part system, Vacuum pump, Vacuum chamber, and separate holding tank. Would be easier to get into place, probably the same work plumbing, and you could probably get an even bigger capacity tank. It's in and working anyway, and I'll be showing it off at the Rendezvous!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I think I'm in love, the unit held vacuum for a week! .....It's in and working anyway, and I'll be showing it off at the Rendezvous
We'll all be able to see how much the new unit sucks? :lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I'm getting so excited I'm going to ask if I can use his Head at the Rendevous
"MAHALO"