• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fenders

JC78
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Redwood City, CA

Fenders

Post by JC78 »

What type and size fenders do you all use for your 28 TE's? Its time for me to order some new ones. My boat came with 3 inflatable 8"x20". Seems to work fine, I'm just curious if there is a better setup.
JC
2001 28 TE
Blue Moon
Hull # 537
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Fenders

Post by DougSea »

I always carried 4 Taylor-Made 8x20's (the through tube style) with a 15' line. The long line allowed me to hang the fenders both vertically and horizontally, depending on the situation. Depending on where you might be cruising you might also want to carry a fender board. I had a 6' oak 2x4. You can use it with 2 fenders when you're up against a piling and the boat is likely to move too much fore and aft for a fender to stay against it. I would use it in Block Island which has a big tide and fixed piers.

If you raft up a lot with boats bigger or smaller than you you may also want to carry a couple of bigger fenders. Since I hardly ever needed them I would take out the in-deck box and stuff a fender into the unused space forward. Or you could try what I'm planning for on Sonny IV and get some of the new "tough" inflatable’s. I'm thinking I'll be getting two 10x30's, or even 12x36's. They collapse completely and inflate pretty quickly. The reason for bigger fenders is the mis-match in rub-rail heights. I raft up with my brother in a Sabre 36 sailboat and when a passing wake rolls you those rails can pound pretty good! Fortunately he carries some big fenders as well! :-)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

In addition to the fenders I carry this anchor ball with the retrieval ring & clip.
160-032.jpg
It's hung on the port side bow rail out of the line of sight from the helm and takes up no storage
(recognize the river Jay?)
IMG_3828.JPG
It's used for anchor retrieval, safety line off the transom when swimming/diving, and other related uses but also makes a great extra wide fender when needed. For example, last year at American Wharf very strong north winds were pushing me into the floater that was trimmed with treated lumber and no padding. It was just about collapsing my fender. The ball worked perfectly.
IMG_3612.JPG
Here's another shot, this time at Old Saybrook where it was rather bouncy and once again a wood trimmed floater with no padding.
DSCN0667.JPG
Or you could be like this guy and just care a few of each.
DSCN0653.JPG
Hey Doug, 5 pictures in one post, do I get extra "member points" ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Any of you guys use fender covers? If so, what material? BTW - - Defender seems to have the best prices for fenders and dock lines.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:...

Hey Doug, 5 pictures in one post, do I get extra "member points" ?
You've got to get to at least 10, then we'll talk! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Legacy wrote:Any of you guys use fender covers? If so, what material? BTW - - Defender seems to have the best prices for fenders and dock lines.
I don't but I may get a few. I'd use them when rafting and it was likely the fenders would be rubbing up and down on the hulls. At the dock I would think they would just get dirty. iMHO anyway...
Doug
Sonny IV
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Legacy wrote:Any of you guys use fender covers? If so, what material? BTW - - Defender seems to have the best prices for fenders and dock lines.
We cover some of our fenders with covers made from whte terrycloth towels that the first mate makes. Cheap, easy, wash them or throw them away when they get really bad. The terrycloth does not scratch the gelcoat or paint as long as the salt gets rinsed out from time to time.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

JC78 wrote:What type and size fenders do you all use for your 28 TE's? Its time for me to order some new ones. My boat came with 3 inflatable 8"x20". Seems to work fine, I'm just curious if there is a better setup.
I've shifted gears this year from carrying 3 - Taylor Big "B" 8 X 20's to 3 - 6 X 15's. I also have 2 of the A-2's stowed portside as shown in Rob's photo / one is set-up for anchor retrieval and the other with a standard 3/8" whip. The balls are great for raft-ups or if docked at a rolly marina and they store easily out of line of sight.

At the Boston and 1st Essex Island Rendezvous I noticed Ric had the 6 X 15's and thought they were undersized. Fortuneately we met up in Scituate for a couple of days last summer and I realized they were more than adequate when tying up dockside to a finger dock or when using a fender board and they stow easily beneath the cockpit not interfering too greatly with engine air flow. I've now freed up the stern fishbox which is where I had stowed the 3 - 8 X 20's. Stowage is always at a premium on the 28.
Legacy wrote:Any of you guys use fender covers? If so, what material?.
I do use fleece fender covers and with that new Awlgrip I'd do everything I could to protect it! I prefer the fleece Maine Point Fender Covers / top quality. http://www.mainepointfendercovers.com/fendercovers.htm

Making use of my old 3 - 8 X 20's I attached them horizontally to the dock this year to make landing at home base a little easier by not having to deal with fenders. I wanted 4 fenders for this set-up so I purchased one more along with a "Premium" Taylor fleece fender cover from Defender (less money than Maine Point) and man I sure now know why / no comparison in fleece quality. I then ordered 3 - 6 X 15 covers from Maine Point and am contemplating 1 - A-2 from them as well.

One caution with fender covers .... if you stow your fenders in forward racks they will get wet and filled with salt which is abrasive.

There is one other company that I have heard good things about and are a little less $$$$, but have not done a side by side comparison with Maine Point .... Maine Coast Marine Products http://mecoastmarine.com/fender-covers.shtml
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The anchor rope locker works great for storing 2 fenders. I store 2 under the port hatch and favor the line to the starboard side. I do not have a windlass so I can control where the line accumulates in the locker.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

(recognize the river Jay?)
LOL Just saw this and yes I do, a very familiar sight. Mystic River, you are heading out at the "S" turn, Mystic River Marina at your stern. Where did you stay?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:..Where did you stay?
Last year Matt Hanna and Janet joined us at the Seaport and he took that shot as we headed home for LI. We have stayed at the Shipyard West as well as numerous seasons at the Seaport. Usually opt for the Seaport but did the Shipyard one year for the pool. Since installing the A/C the pool is not a “necessity” and the kids love the museum so the Seaport is our preferred Mystic spot. Will probably head back there again this season, this time with A/C and the new dinghy, a double bonus..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i'm just happy to see this thread through with nobody calling them "bumpers"........

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”