• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steering problems please help asap

te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steering problems please help asap

Post by te102056 »

I have a 1978 36' steering has been fine. The temps lately have been in the single numbers. Today temps were around 60' so I took the boat out only to find out there was no steering. I got the boat back and check steering pressure only to find it at 0. I pumped it up to 30 lbs and it still doesn't work. Any advice?
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Re: Steering problems please help asap

Post by bccanucker »

I am no expert here but maybe if we start others will chip in. Is the cylinder you added the added the pressure a verticle tank located behind the lower steering station? Can you see fluid in the windows? I think steering fluid is a pale yellow. Can you see any golden oil blobs in the bilge water?
Does the steering feel any different? (I'm trying here to differentiate between the hydraulics and mechanical ie hookup problem with the rudder shaft.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Be sure the resivor is full, you can get the fluid at West Marine, should be a gauge glass on the side of the tank.

Then pressurize to about 40lbs, spin the upper wheel both directions 10-12 times, then bleed of the air. Repressurize to 35psi and do the lower.

That should do it as long as the steering pump is working. If it's not check the Amp draw on it to see it it's trying to operate or not.

Also, like bccanucker said look for fluid in the bilges and the lazerette.

Hope this helps

I do have copies of the Hynautics owners manual if you'd like one?
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

And Hynautic is now owned by Teleflex who I have always found has suberb customer service. They told me to use Seastar HA5430 oil in mine.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Can anybody tell me how to fill the steering oil reservoir. Also when I rotate the wheel it seems to almost bump round. Does anybody know about this?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

seblyte wrote:Can anybody tell me how to fill the steering oil reservoir. Also when I rotate the wheel it seems to almost bump round. Does anybody know about this?
A feeling of "bumping around" usually means you're low on fluid. So, based on your first question I'm guessing your fluid is low and you're feeling the result.

Can you give us the year of your boat? I'm sure someone will chime in with some more info.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi Doug, thanks for the post. My boat is an '83 classic 36. Look forward to your next post
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Sorry Doug, I forgot to mention that the reservoir seems full. Does this mean the system needs bleeding? I worked out that if the ram has no bleed valves should I crack the pipes nearest the ram? I still need to know how to top up the reservoir though. Regards, Sebastian
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Sorry Doug again! One more thought. Am I'm being a complete twit here. Does the hydraulic steering get powered when the engine is running? Is it natural that the steering feels bumpy when the engine is off? When I drove the boat in the States it was fine and I have only noticed this effect when I'm in the shed doing the renovation. Just a thought. S.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Does the hydraulic steering get powered when the engine is running?
No. It is a manual, rotary hydraulic pump. As you turn the wheel it moves several pistons that displace the oil. I think there are bleeding instructions in our "library".
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
nan1rik1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by nan1rik1 »

When I splashed my 32 +2 this spring I had a lot of "play" in my helm, the wheel turned almost a full revolution with nobody home. The Sea Star resevoir is right behind the wheel, a plastic rectangle with a metal star on top that unscrews so that you can add fliud. I bought a plastic tube with threaded attachments at both ends at a local marine store (along with steering fluid) that attaches to the fluid container and then to the fill spout on the resevoir that eliminates any spillage. As you rotate the wheel from extreme to extreme air bubbles come up the tube and fluid goes down. Do this until air bubbles stop and the resevoir should be full. I was able to watch the rudder gear as I did this till there was 0 play in the wheel. Cheapest fix I have ever had on any boat.

Return to “36/37/40/43”