• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interested in 31 TE

Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Interested in 31 TE

Post by Dexter »

Hello all. I am located on Long Island, NY and am considering purchasing a 31 TE but have never been on one. Does anyone have or know of a 31TE that I could jump aboard, I will be glad to pay for fuel. I am interested in seeing the layout, space, headroom, ride, etc. I am also wondering about the visibility when under way. Does she ride bow high? Also what is the planing speed? How does she handle rough sees? What is the typical range for twins? I appreciate any input.

Thanks
Anthony
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Interested in 31 TE

Post by zinbaad »

Hi Dexter,
I would be glad to have you jump aboard, Mahalo has the Twin 315 Yanmars, plenty of head room, satisfied with visability only wish it did not have the separations on the wind shield. I'm about a half hour away from you, berthed off the Cross Island Parkway 1'2 mile from the Throgs Neck Bridge. I mostly have Sundays and most late afternoons available. This is Mahalos 3rd season. Today, Sunday is a bit over cast, but I am considering an East river cruise down to the Statue of Liberty & the NY Skyline. Give me a call if ya want to chat 31's
Eddy
718 614 7589
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Can't help you much with the tour as I'm in Anacortes, Washington, but can answer some of the questions. Have run my 31 TE with twin Yanmars from Portland, Oregon across the Columbia River Bar and up the outside to Anacortes on a couple of occasions. It does handle rough water well. Last trip up had south wind come up and seas steepened at our stern, just slowed down a bit and dropped the stern with the trimtabs and the boat did fine. Also last year crossed the Straits of Georgia when we probably should not have. The boat handled fine. We were uncomfortable. Case of a boat handling more than a human. Visability is great, and with the trim tabs you can bring the bow up or down, but the bow does not ride excessively high. Planing speed with a full load of fuel and water is about 12-14 kts depending on conditions, and cruising speed is between 15-22kts depending on how hard you want to push and how much fuel you want to burn. With twins manuvers great. Enough living space for 2 to stay comfortably for extended times. We are headed up the inside passage for the month of June. Also fishes very well. Have had her offshore for tuna last year and did great. However does not troll down slow enough for salmon. Need 1-3 kts for that.
Jeff S
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

Just got back from a cruise with Eddy on Mahalo. Eddy was kind enough to take me on an afternoon cruise on his 31 TE. Beautiful boat, handled well. I was very impressed. The boat handled well at all speeds. I was also impressed that the boat did not ride bow high at low speeds. Whether at 12 knots or 20 knots the bow angle remained relatively the same which was very nice. Many boats ride bow high at low speeds. Eddy is a great captain. He and his friend Larry were great company. Thank you, you definitely made up my mind. Luv the boat..
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Glad to have been of help. Alway happy to take one on a tour of NY's scenic harbor. Its was a bit over cast but I hope you loved the tour of United Nations, Statue of Liberty, all of our antique bridges an the site of the new upcoming World Trade centers,, not to forget the great prisons of Rikers Island, Bronx Barge of Detenion and our Laguadia Airport, lol.. You seemed to be fully capable of Capt, so I was more than happy to let you run Mahalothe 10 mile run.. Good luck on your search, hope I was a help in your decsions

PS
Sorry about Larry the "F" man,, he does not seem to have any other verbs in his vocabulary
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

Had a great time Eddy. I didn't mind the F man.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I have been aboard Mahalo more than once and Eddy being the good friend and great boat host that he is has also allowed me to take the helm. I was very impressed how the twin 6LP's popped that big boat right out of the water and cruised along rather effortlessly and quietly. I have also been aboard single screw 31TE's, its a different feel altogether and in someways actually a different boat.

Dexter, you have not mentioned the biggest decision you can make with the 31 - single or twin screw. The twins give you performance, maneuverability and redundancy. But that all comes at the price of twice the maintenance, a little tighter engine access and loss of the skeg. As with anything, it's give and take.

Thanks Ed!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

I am interested in twins. I like the extra performance and redundancy. I also feel more secure with two engines off shore.
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

Our 31TE has a single Cummins and we are very happy with it. In a little less than three seasons we have put close to 400 hours on it and averaged 6-7 GPH. When we first purchased it I thought that it would have been better with twins but I am now very happy that we have the single. The skeg protects the prop, fuel burn is very reasonable, and maintenance is roughly half.

On the Chesapeake, most work and charter boats are singles. Since that is where we have put all of he hours on it, if a single is good enough for the guys that do it every day, must be good enough for us.

We are on vacation in Hatteras this week. I was surprised to see thet most of the charters here are custom built 50' or so sport fishing boats with single diesels.

Performance will certainly be better with twins. We cruise at 17kts and can hit 21kts at wot. We don't usually run too far so that works for us. The nice thing with either the single or twin 31 is that you can still run those speeds when most other boats have to back off.

Either way you will be happy with your decision on the 31. The more we use it the more we love it.
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

You may have found what you want by now. If not there is a 31 Albin twin yanmar at Channel Islands, in the southern Calif. area. I was aboard the boat and came really close to its purchase. There were then some trade issues that sunk the deal. However, the boat has very low original hours and is fully equipped with ac/reverse air and gen set. Extra clean and fairly priced. It is a long way for you to ship, but a good boat is worth the costs. Last time I looked it was still up on Yachtworld. If you can't find it and have any interests I still have the owner's name and email address. Great buy in my mind. Has the blue hull color's with no fading, swim platform, radar. auto pilot and all the essential electronics. No it is not my boat, but you can tell I was impressed. whwells

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”