• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New recruit looking for pointers ...

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Gonzo

New recruit looking for pointers ...

Post by Gonzo »

Hi all, I just purchased my first Albin 28 TE and I am very excited to get cruising. I have been in a 24' Boston Whaler Outrage with twin 150 Outboards (loved it), but wife wanted a cabin and I agree. After extensive research, we decided on an Albin 28 TE. We looked for months and found a great vessel near our home. We could not be more excited, but as I get closer to delivery, this Friday, I am wondering if I jumped in to fast. What's the learning curve do you think? I have never used a bow thruster! Very capable with the twin screw Whaler, any recommendations? I will be on a mooring in a very full and busy harbor. Thanks!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: New recruit looking for pointers ...

Post by DougSea »

Hi Gonzo, and welcome aboard!

First things first - read this post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3015

An inboard is a VERY different animal than any outboard, and the single screw makes it even more interesting! It takes practice, but if you're an experienced boat handler you just have to take some new "how do I apply power and rotation" and add it to your understanding of how a boat reacts to wind and current. You should think of the thruster as an extra hand, able to give the bow a shove one way or the other - but don't rely on it for an extended push! Use it when you need that "extra" bit, but try to have things moving the right way first!

We moved from a Walk-around to the 28. My wife loved it so much we went to the 35!

I'm sure you'll get some responses to this post and feel free to fire away with more questions, we're all here to help each other out.

Good luck with the new boat!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

hi gonzo.
You will be fine I had not run a boat in years and my experience was on single I/O's and outboards on boats no begged than 22'. We purchased our 31 TE. three years ago and after the first few landings it became a fun challenge to master the single inboard.
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Gonzo wrote:Hi all, I just purchased my first Albin 28 TE

How many do you plan on purchasing :D

As far as the thruster just don't go from one direction to the other in one motion - let it stop spinning before changing directions.

Of course the power train difference is the biggest factor here when considering the difference of manuevering the whaler vs. the TE. But another thing is windage. Although not as bad as most 28's, the TE will be more effected by a cross wind (or any wind) than your CC whaler. I always open the sliding windows when docking to let the wind pass thru the pilothouse as much as possible and minimize the pushing effect.

Congrats. You'll take longer to get there now but will certainly enjoy the smoother ride and being out of the weather. Much less sunscreen and layers of clothing required. Remember, the joy is in the journey, not the destination...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Thrusters are nice...however once you get it down a little you SHOULD practise without the thruster and understand how to handle the boat when the thruster fails. (because eventually it will).

Case in point...when we had our old Mainship we went to a factory sponsored rendezvous (Essex Island) and one of the "events" was training women to run the various boats. Of course (first mate) Debby went on the (new at the time) 34 pilot, however the thruster was kaput so the cpt (dealer) had all the women only do a parallel dock manoever. When Deb had her turn she had to back it down a fairway with a cross current into a hole that was 4 boats deep.
She nailed it! :D Cpt was ticked because he couldn't come close! :lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to Albin Owners Group. You will find experienced and helpful owners around here.

Enjoy!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Congratulations and welcome! I see a lot of good advice but will add a couple of suggesttions. Even though the 28 backs poorly or at least differently from outboard boats due to the large rudder (like a sailboat) and the single torque, there are times where you'll find that backing away from a dock is safer than trying to head out. Wind or a tight turn from a fuel dock for example might require a good push off from the dock and backing out to a better place to turn than a crowded area. A tight turn requires a sudden thrust to swing the bow around which is dangerous when there is insufficient space to manouver. The bow thruster won't be more powerful than 20 knots of breeze pushing in the other direction on your hull and cabin.
The bow thruster will probably seem less effective later in the season as the channel begins to fill with barnacles and other small marine life. It might be worth having a diver go down to check your raw water intake and the thruster channel to clear them around this time of year. Maybe not in your area but on Long Island Sound, we are seeing much more growth on boats in the past few years than before.
The 28 is a different experience from the lighter outboard. Once you get used to a slower but steadier pace, you will really appreciate moving up to the bigger boat. Good luck.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

X2 of what Jleonard said

Anyone can make themselves look with a twin engine or a single with a thruster. To make a real impression you need to learn to handle the boat without the thruster. Sure it is nice to have but don't trust the thing. Guaranteed, the time when you really want it it will fail. Be prepared.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Gonzo wrote:Hi all, I just purchased my first Albin 28 TE and I am very excited to get cruising. I have been in a 24' Boston Whaler Outrage with twin 150 Outboards (loved it), but wife wanted a cabin and I agree. After extensive research, we decided on an Albin 28 TE. We looked for months and found a great vessel near our home. We could not be more excited, but as I get closer to delivery, this Friday, I am wondering if I jumped in to fast. What's the learning curve do you think? I have never used a bow thruster! Very capable with the twin screw Whaler, any recommendations? I will be on a mooring in a very full and busy harbor. Thanks!
Congratulations Skip. On your mooring you will be just fine. It's actually a good place to learn the handling of the single screw. The bow thruster will give you added confidence. Jumping too fast .... not at all. From the time we decided to move out of the 26 ft. twin outboard center console to the 28TE with $$$ down ... only 4 weeks had passed. Run with it :wink: So .... did you adopt one of the fine local 28's I suggested you visit? Very curious ... Engine Box or Flush Deck? ... If you bought Gannet I'm sure Eric will give you some handling pointers and time aboard with you at the helm before you depart.

Good advice from Rob on being sure to let the bowthruster stop when switching from one direction to another. In your/our waters I've never had issue with growth or barnacles ... maybe one or two on a thru hull or other bronze. No big deal.

Standing by for further reports and welcome aboard. 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

As far as approaching a mooring goes, trying to do it all from the bow is diffficult. You can't see the pickup bouy.

During my single handed commercial boating years my method, in a very crowded bay & right in front of a hotel, was to stop myself with the bouy reachable from the cockpit. No boathook needed. Simply reach over pickup the bouy & walk to the bow before it had much of a chance to fall off the wind & go broadside.

Worked well, even on days when the wind was coming into the bay at 20+kts.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

You will find the Albin rides so smooth compared to the bucking horse Whaler. Previously owned an 89 Whaler 27' with twin 350 inboards full cabin. Was kind of a rare model as most were outboards. No more seaworthy boat than the unsinkable Whaler, but tough ride in rough seas. Think you will be very happy with your decision. Welcome to the group. My Albin is stuck in Ontario, Canada waiting for the transporter to get a permit to complete his N.Y. load and get onto mine. We had 4 Albin 28 owner's in Brookings, Or where my last a 29 Luhrs twin yanmar was kept who all loved the boat as you will I'm sure. whwells
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

whwells wrote:...Previously owned an 89 Whaler 27' with twin 350 inboards full cabin. Was kind of a rare model as most were outboards...
We had one too. The 350's were pulled out and Yanmar 6LPS took thier place. She was built like a tank and, as you can see, she was fast, almost too fast for the hull design. She was loud too with those diesels screamin right under the seats..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

That's a nice looking Whaler. Had considered droping the Merc. 350's for diesel, but decided it was way to expensive for me at the time. The other problem I had with the 27' Full Cabin is the walkspace to get up front was really narrow. Still they are safe and seaworthy crafts.; whwells

Return to “New Member Introductions”