• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

all chain anchor rhode

erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

all chain anchor rhode

Post by erice »

i've got a 36' sabreline, approx. 25,000 lbs. i just measured the anchor chain, 100' of 5/16" chain with a pivoting type plow anchor. i've always had nylon rhode with 20-30' of chain (last boat 30' express, 300' 1/2" line, 30' chain), so only 100' of chain seems kind of short. what length of chain do you use? issues, problems with it? i mostly anchor in 15-25' of water.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: all chain anchor rhode

Post by jleonard »

I put 200 feet of 5/16 chain aboard and I use a 44# Delta. I mostly use only the first 100 feet. Actually I only have markings at 50 ft and 100 ft.
Most of my anchoring is in 8 to 15 feet of water.
With all chain you should be using a snubber line to take the load off the windlass and to absorb the shock to your hardware and boat. A snubber also lowers the pull angle if it is long enough. I like to put the hook at the waterline.

:wink: My secondary anchor which is on the bow and ready to deploy is a 22 Danforth deepset, 13 ft of 3/8 chain backed by 150 ft 3 strand 5/8 nylon. (Over the winter the danforth will be replaced with a Fortress FX37)
Last edited by jleonard on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Your ground tackle should be capable of handling your intended anchoring needs but should also be sufficient for emergency deployment in the waters you travel, considering depths, currents, sea conditions, etc.

My main setup is a 22lb plow with 20ft of 5/6th chain on 600ft of 3-strand nylon. This is a heavier anchor and heavier chain than a 28 calls for but that’s piece of mind. 600ft is a full spool and the rope locker in the 28TE is more than roomy enough to hold it and still leaves room for 2 large fenders.

In heavy seas/current with scope recommended at 7:1 ratio (rode:depth) you can find yourself deploying quite a bit of line..

As a backup (or stern anchor), I also carry a 14lb plow with shorter chain on 150ft of 3-strand.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I have 160' of 5/16 chain, with a 35lb Delta (Thanks Jay!), backed up by 250' of braided anchor rode.

Like jay I rarely get beyond the chain and I have a snubber (Short length of nylon line with a hook to engage the chain) that I use to keep the strain off of the windlass in all but the calmest conditions. The chain lets me keep the scope shorter than I could with more of a rope rode.

Also, as Rob points out, you want to have an anchor setup that's good for most of your anchoring BUT is capable of keeping you secure and safe when things go wrong. Do I really need nearly 400 total feet of rode? Not really. But if I run into trouble in 90' of water, which we have in the western Sound, I might be very glad I have it!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

One thing to consider if you have all or mostly chain rode is a set of bolt cutters. I never even thought of then until last weekend...didn't get in trouble but the first mate an I were talking about situations.
So today I bought me a set from Tractor Supply in Farmington. $30 is a cheap investment. They can also cut battery cables in a pinch if you have a "situation".
BTW I made them let me cut some 5/16 chain links in the store before I bought the cutters....wanted to make sure they were up to the task. :D
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

My rule of thumb is a boatlength of chain is usually more than enough. Used to do alot of overnight rafting, also water depth 10-20'. Never dragged.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

erice wrote:i've got a 36' sabreline, approx. 25,000 lbs. i just measured the anchor chain, 100' of 5/16" chain with a pivoting type plow anchor. i've always had nylon rhode with 20-30' of chain (last boat 30' express, 300' 1/2" line, 30' chain), so only 100' of chain seems kind of short. what length of chain do you use? issues, problems with it? i mostly anchor in 15-25' of water.
Recommendations on scope are: rope rode 7 to 1 ; chain 3 to 1. In a calmer sea or day tripping & tight anchorages these can be shortened up at the call of the capt.. When my rope rode w/ 30 ft. of chain was in need of replacement last season I went to 100 ft. of chain and 180 ft. of brait rode to my 22lb. Delta along with a a length of rope rode to a chain hook. The snubber always goes on to relieve the windlass. This covers all my anchoring needs and I have yet to get into the brait. If I were to do it again I would go with 200 to 250 ft of all chain. The chain is terrific in tight anchorages where there is not much swing room as you can let out less than half the length of what is needed of rope rode and be at full scope. Loving the chain.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I am never 3:1 with all chain. No way, that is not close to being enough. More like 6:1 MINIMUM and usually 7 or 8:1. If it's windy I'm going 10:1 if I can get it out.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I've gone with the Chapman's and BoatUS suggestion. As always the Capt. makes the call. If you've got the room, feel it necessary or find a comfort zone and or heavy weather or adverse anchoring conditions demand longer scope; absoluteley let it out. The amount of anchor rode paid out depends on the type of rode you're using and the weather and bottom conditions. As I'm sure we all do; be sure to add the distance from your pulpit to waterline to your water depth to calculate true scope.

From Boat US; "The proper scope for all-rope rode in "average conditions" is between 7:1 or 8:1; you can be comfortable with a mere 3:1 or 4:1 if you're using all-chain rode".
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

What kind of connector do you guys use to connect your chain and rope? I have a shackle that connects 100ft of chain and 600ft of rope. The problem I have is when I bring the line in w/ windlass it jumps when the shackle comes around so I have to manually adjust it each time. Any thoughts?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

yhc wrote:What kind of connector do you guys use to connect your chain and rope? I have a shackle that connects 100ft of chain and 600ft of rope. The problem I have is when I bring the line in w/ windlass it jumps when the shackle comes around so I have to manually adjust it each time. Any thoughts?
The shackle will give you trouble everytime it passes. For smooth windlass operation a splice from rope rode to chain is necessary.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”