• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 43 Prop problem. Overheating.

CapnDan

Albin 43 Prop problem. Overheating.

Post by CapnDan »

Albin 43 prop problem, overheating.
Both engines overheat if I run the engines at anything over 2000 RPM, they max out at 2600 RPM under load.
I’ve just bought the boat and have no history or contact with the previous owner.
I think it could be the props.
The props are 18x12 four blade on Volvo TMD40b engines.

Anybody had similar experience or suggestion would be appreciated.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Albin 43 Prop problem. Overheating.

Post by jleonard »

First thing to do is verify the accuracy of your tachometers using a hand held tach on each engine.
After that find out what the rated WOT (Wide Open Throttle) under load RPM is supposed to be for those engines. I am not Volvo savvy so I don't know that answer.

As an aside the VERY FIRST thing I always do or recommend for a new boat owner is to go thru the saltwater side of the cooling system. Everything including the raw water pumps needs to be looked at, or better yet taken apart and thouroughly cleaned. Assume it has never been done.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

I TOTALLY agree with Jay. Doing both of these items were the very first things we did when we bought the Blue Heron. If you need help where to buy an RPM meter just let us know. My tacs were way off and the bridge didn't agree with the down steering station. The Raw water & oil cooler heat exchangers are always my first suspect for overheating. My second suspect is barnacles on the props.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament