• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trolling valve

rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trolling valve

Post by rangoons »

Hi, can someone please explain what a trolling valve is?
Thanks
Rangoons
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Thanks anyways,
I found my answer and just bought 2 36" trolling bags.
Rangoons
dougstinchcum

Post by dougstinchcum »

I had the valve installed. I'm not an engineer so the explanation may not be technically accurate. Basically the valve reduces the amount of fluid that turns the propeller shaft. I can turn it down to the point that I get only .5 knots of speed which is just enough to maintain steerage.

I engage the valve when trolling for rock fish in the Chesepaeke Bay. The only concern is that it MUST be disengaged before any RPM increase above idle.

I suspect your two drogues were much cheaper than the cost I incurred.

Good luck.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What year?

Post by RicM »

Doug:

What year/engine/transmission do you have? I'm trying to detemine if I can put a valve on a 2003 yanmar with ZF V drive?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
med2alfa

trolling valve

Post by med2alfa »

dougstinchcum wrote:I had the valve installed. I'm not an engineer so the explanation may not be technically accurate. Basically the valve reduces the amount of fluid that turns the propeller shaft. I can turn it down to the point that I get only .5 knots of speed which is just enough to maintain steerage.

I engage the valve when trolling for rock fish in the Chesepaeke Bay. The only concern is that it MUST be disengaged before any RPM increase above idle.

I suspect your two drogues were much cheaper than the cost I incurred.

Good luck.
What are the consequences if you forget to disengage before increasing RPM's?

Also can anyone describe the close quarter manuvering abilities of a single or twin engine Albin while using the trolling valve at speeds of .5 to 3 knots. The reason I ask is that at times while trolling for salmon, boat congestion requires some very tight turns to avoid other boats and trolled lines. I am currently using a 15 hp. kicker motor transom mounted on my 23 GlasPly and can turn quite quickly, usually 90 degrees within my boats length. I don't know how quick I could be using the boats rudders.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I've been told you will pretty much toast your transmission if you bring it up to cruising RPM for a long enough period.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
med2alfa

Post by med2alfa »

I was reading a Twin Disc tranny manual last nite and it said that generally speaking anything over 1100 RPM would toast the tranny. I've read elsewhere that someone makes a lockout device to prevent overreving while in the troll mode. Just something else to worry about while on the water.
Anybody have an opinion on the close quarter manuverability of a single screw Albin while in troll mode? From what Twin Disc manual said is they don't recommend engaging troll mode while docking because of the potential need for a quick burst of throttle above their recommended 1100 rpm limit. I'm more concerned about a quick change of direction to avoid another boat or log in the water while trolling.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trolling Valve

Post by RicM »

I was on a diesel boat (charter trip)(not Albin) with a trolling valve last summer and I believe the captain had an audio alarm when you went over a certain engine speed with the trolling valve on. He used the valve coming and going in the harbor no-wake zone as he idled at about 6 knots w/o the valve and docked with no issues. It was a 28 CC with a direct drive, so the handling would be similar I would think. I was always taught that you should never need more than idle speed while docking.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have a trolling valve on my Hurth transmission which I believe is the same as a ZF so you should be able to get one. If you have to make a quick turn while trolling you just disengage the trolling valve and you are ready to do anything you want. I push mine in and out as needed to keep the speed around 3 knots for stripers. How you make a quick turn witout tangling your lines is another matter.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

I am going to install a trolling valve this winter on my hurth transmision. I will let you know how I make out. So far all research looks good. I will be moving ahead with my plans.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
dougstinchcum

Post by dougstinchcum »

I sent an Email but I'm not sure it got out.

I keep the engine/transmission specs on the boat, so I don't have numbers. I have a 2004 TE with a 315 Yanmar turbo, straight drive. I had my boat yard obtain and install the trolling valve. They purchased it from the transmission manufacturer. There are several mechanical means of engaging/disengaging the valve. I have one that can be disengaged by simply pushing the knob "down". That is important should someone improperly accererate the engine with the valve engaged. I can quickly disengage it.

It takes some getting used to, but I use it whenever I'm rock fishing.

Good luck.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Thanks for the reply. Just put an order in for the valve and am waiting for it to arrive. At that time I will then make final decisions on how it will install. Hear you about the dangers of RPM. Not sure how to do the linkage yet. Still looking for ideas and waiting to see the valve so it all makes sense to me. Am hopping to use my experience of building race cars and make some type of lock out. Might be electric solenoid or mechanical, but it will be home maid for sure. I enjoy building projects as much as boating so I am a little nuts. Still looking for ideas so keep the information flowing.
Thanks
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
dougstinchcum

trolling valve

Post by dougstinchcum »

Heed all of the warnings about high RPM's with the trolling valve engaged.
Also, I do not use the valve for any purpose other than fishing.

My trolling valve "engagement lever" is cabled from the helm station to the unit on the transmission, and I can set progressively more or less thrust as conditions require to maintain steerage and forward movement while trolling.

The engagement knob is bright red so I can see its position from any location in the cocpit and transom. Also, I tell all guests how it operates, but warn them not to touch the throttle before it is disengaged should there be an emergency (I'm over board).

Good luck.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Also, back when I was a dealer, we installed a big red light in the dash that was on whenever the trolling valve was engaged. Even with that, one customer fried his the first weekend.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I have mine tethered in place so it cannot be accidentily moved by anyone. Only when I am on the fishing grounds does the tehther come off. And it goes back on before I leave.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”