• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rendezvous Date and Location

Coordinator - Lou Bennett (loubennett)

Moderator: DougSea

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Rendezvous Date and Location

Post by loubennett »

I want to get some discussion started on the date and location for the rendezvous. We had an excellent turnout last year and I hope we can do even better this year.

Date - A weekend near the end of June seems to work well. We generally have good weather and turnouts have been good. I generally try to avoid Father's Day weekend assuming people have family things that conflict. This year Fourth of July is on a Wednesday. This opens up a second weekend and possibly a third to condsider for the rendezvous. The three best weekends we should consider are: June 22-24, June 29-July 1, and July6-8. These are all early enough in the summer that we should avoid the sometimes oppressive heat of late July and early August. Please voice your opinions on which weekend is best. We need to setle on a date soon so that we can reserve things at the marina.

Location - There have been several locations suggested.

Herrington Harbor South - We held the rendezvous there in 2009 and it is an excellent facility. The marina was very hospitable and everyone enjoyed themselves. For thos not familiar with it, they are able to dock the boats together. There are good bath facilities, a pool, a restaurant, and god facilities for our Saturday night gathering. There is no town right there, but there is a very inexpensive bus that will take you to Chesapeake City or Deale. All in all I think it's a prime choice.

Knapps Narrows - I haven't stopped there, but have talked to members of other boating groups that had their rendezvous there. We need to figur out which marina is best. Anyone with more information should fill us in.

Baltimore - Baltimore is a great cruising destination. The one downside is finding a marina that has space for our normal Saturday evening gathering. If there is interest, we can check to see what marina works best for our needs.

Annapolis - Another great town. Unfortunately the marinas that could accomodate our group and have facilities are somewhat removed from downtown. There is water taxi service however so it can probably work. The two marinas that come to mind are Annapolis Landing and Port Annapolis. They are both on Back Creek. Another possibility is Mears Mariina. It's also on Back Creek but on the Eastport side so you can walk downtown and to the Eastport restaurants.

These are the locations that come to mind. If you have others to suggest, do so. I excluded St. Michaels from the list since we were there last year and I assume everyone would want something different. We need to settle on date and location soon so that we can make arrangements with the marina, so let the discussion begin.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Rendezvous Date and Location

Post by jcollins »

Here's my vote:
Date - June 22nd

Place: Herrington Harbor South.

2nd choice: Inner Harbor East ( I really like this marina but we may have trouble staying together)

Still curious about Knapps Narrows though.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

First and foremost, apologies to our beloved Chesapeake Rendezvous coordinator I have been remiss in my correspondence. Mia Culpa Mia Culpa. I was sorry not to see you in the south end of the bay this fall and while I generally reserve the Glenlivet for service in "R" months rest assured I will have both a fine single malt and Woodford on board this year in case you want a taste.

The Blue Bay Ewe is good for any of the proposed dates and game for all of the proposed locations. That being said St Michaels is hard to beat even if you are practically a citizen there. We spent time at Harrington Harbor South following last years soiree and enjoyed that as well, but the relative isolation is a limiting factor.
Looking at Knapps online it may be similar but I defer to anyone who has first hand experience. Annapolis is very nice but the logistics for a large group may be more difficult. Baltimore would be my last choice for similar reasons.

What ever the choice Deb and I will be extending our cruise to enjoy your part of the bay for longer than a weekend so maybe we can hit St Michaels together regardless. You will have a tough time topping last years effort but I am sure you are the man for the job.

And, the winner of the slotted spoon award has a challenge to face this year.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Lou,

Sharon and I vote for Herrington Harbour South (especially since that's where we dock our boat)! To amplify your details -- there is a trolley that costs .25 cents and runs to Chesapeake Beach (CB) or Deale every hour. There are several bars/restaurants/shops in N. Beach, CB and Deale. CB has slots for those who like to gamble. Our date pick is 29 June - 1 July and will be glad to host happy hour again.

As for Knapps Narrows, we have stayed at Mears Point Marina a few times and love it. Annies, Red Eye Dock Bar & Harris' Crab House are right next store and several other bars/restaurants are within walking distance. There are small pavilions with grills available.

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Lou, as you can see below, if you could somehow lock us in to go back to St Michaels on the weekend of the 29th as you have already suggested, we could enjoy the fireworks too!! It might be a stretch to get the marina to agree to this weekend, but might be worth a try. Knapps narrows as suggested above is most likely too isolated, and marinas ae relatively small. My second vote would be Harrington Harbor, we did enjoy the stay there. Thanks again for your time and effort in putting this together, last year was a hit. We may have to get Butch a bigger grill though! :D

BIG BAND NIGHT/FIREWORKS
June 30, 2012

ST. MICHAELS....
Big Band Night/Fireworks at The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Musuem

Saturday, June 30, 2012* (Raindate July 1)
Tolchester Beach Bandstand, 7 - 10pm

$5 for members, $10 for non-members

Jazzy big band sounds come alive on the Museum’s Tolchester Beach Bandstand at this special Independence Day celebration. Stay into the evening to enjoy the St. Michaels fireworks over the Miles River.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

As for Knapps Narrows, we have stayed at Mears Point Marina a few times and love it. Annies, Red Eye Dock Bar & Harris' Crab House are right next store and several other bars/restaurants are within walking distance. There are small pavilions with grills available.
Hi Rob,
Are you talking about Kent Narrows?
John
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

John,

Whoops! Don't I feel like an idiot!?! :oops: Yes, I was talking about Kent Narrows -- Grasonville.

As for Knapps Narrows... There's really only one marina -- Knapps Narows Marina and Inn that would work for a rendezvous. The only other option may be Harrisons on Harris Creek (Choptank side of Tilghman Island) but it is pretty run down (complete with 'cement pond'). There isn't anything else around it. Knapps Narrows Marina has a long transient dock and restaurant, Bay Hundred, with nice tiki bar. There is also the Bridge Restaurant (a short walk across the bridge). Other than that, there really isn't anything else around.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Post by Bluey »

I vote for Knapps Narrows Marina and Inn. I belong to an assn of yacht clubs that has held its annual rendezvous there for the past 3 yrs and are doing it again this year. Major concerns for us are the availability of a motel onsite, ability to bring in food and beverages, ability to have a Saturday nite catered dinner and dancining, and not feeling overwhelmed by other activities (as may happen in Baltimore Inner Harbor). We run 18-20 boats, ranging up to 55', and Shannon and crew are extremely helpful in ensuring all is arranged. Bad side: not much to do at Knapps other than whatever you're scheduling and unless you have a car for St. Michaels, and the Inn books quickly and isn't cheap.
Maurice the Boatless
GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GoFish »

We vote for HHS, June 22

Earl and Katie
Go Fish!
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

GoFish wrote:We vote for HHS, June 22

Earl and Katie
Go Fish!
That's our vote too!
John
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Sara and I like HHS as well, St Michael's or Solomon's would be second. Our last trip to Solomon's was so hot we never had a chance to enjoy the town and fireworks at St. Michael's sounds good as well. We stay at Tilghman on the Chesapeake when we go to Tilghman. It's on the back side of the island outside the narrows. Very nice facilities and floating docks. It's also about a 1/2 mile walk to get to Harrison's Crab house and another 1/2 mile to get to the places on the narrows so that's limiting. We'll be wherever you decide. Looking forward to it.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

If we decide Tilghman Island I can provide 3 or 4 cars to commute to St Michaels.I might have to look at some driving licenses for approval!!!!!
ron9292
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Aquia Creek, Virginia

Post by ron9292 »

My name is Ron I'm new to the forum.
We have a 27' Albin FC 1988
We Are located in Aquia Harbor VA.

Was a final date for a Rendevous chosen for the Chesapeake? We might be able to make the trip.

thanks

Ron
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Hi Ron,
You're replying to a 2012 message. You can go to the Rendezvous forums for updated information.

Thanks!
John

Return to “Sixth Annual Chesapeake AOG Rendezvous 2012”