• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

drift sock

voyages
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St-Charles RIchelieu, Qc

drift sock

Post by voyages »

Has anyone used drift socks or sea anchors to slow down an Albin 28TE for salmon trolling, do they work? I have just purchased a set of Minn Kota drift socks that intend to use on Lake Ontario for salmon trolling, I need to get down to 2,5mph and I think that without the drift socks I would probably run at 3,5 to 4mph. I will put one on each side of the boat, I was also told that the socks would also serve as stabilizers, is this so?
I hope this works or otherwise I will have to find myself a trolling valve,
WIll the socks slow me down by 1 or 2mph?
Denis
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Re: drift sock

Post by Alan_Douville »

Denis, I run an Albin 28TE on Lake Michigan for Salmon, I use drift socks. Warning with these, the Minn Kota & Cabelas Ones are NOT heavy duty and will not make it thru a full season with me. Worse, when they go, you risk prop wrapping the damn things. I went to a really heavy duty Drift Sock, and I am in my second season on the original set. I use the Amish Outfitters Drift socks, the "Beefy Bags". I use the 48" Bags for the Albin.

http://web.archive.org/web/201106051517 ... atalog.htm

Without them, I can get down to 4.5 MPH, with them I can drop to 2.0 MPH at 1000 RPM. They are sweet, stabalize the boat real nice too, bonus feature. Again, watch out for the smaller webbing bags, Albin 28's punish these things.

Give me a shout if you want to compare Salmon rigs and tips, been pounding them hard here this year.

Alan
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
Nowhere Special
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Catawba Island, Lake Erie

Post by Nowhere Special »

Alan, how far back to you run them? I run the 36" Amish bags.

Dave
Dave
1999 28TE Aba Daba
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

I wish I had some pics I keep meaning to take them... I have a set of 36" as well, on really calm days my engine throttles too low to cruise for Lakers. I hang them off the bow cleats, port and starboard, and use like a 6' lead so they drift right next to my boat, the bag starts right about where my wheelhouse ends and when I am back fishing looking over the sides they are right there. I hang retrieval leashes off the rear of the bags and attach them to the stern cleats with enough slack they don't pull much. When underway I roll them up and stow next to the pilot house on the sides down at the floor. So far it works well... I am fishing Thurs night I will take some pics...

Alan
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”