• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular Engine

RNick
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Braintree, MA

Peninsular Engine

Post by RNick »

I am looking at an Albin with the GM engine that has approx. 2600 hours of use. Is this something to be concerned about, or are that number of hours a non-issue. I am transiting from sailing to power and am not familiar with high hour engines. Your thoughts please.

RNick
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Peninsular Engine

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to AOG RNick.
Although that is more than most it is not unheard of. Diesel engines like to run. That being said, Peninsular, which I own, has had it's problems. What year is the engine? If it's in the 93-96 range a call to Peninsular with the serial number will tell you if its one of the problematic ones. Even if it is, it would have had problems by now. I would ask for and expect the owner to have maintenance records. If not, spend the money for a engine survey.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Peninsulars are known for being very loud. All engines and especially all diesels are loud but Peninsulars are louder than others. It's basically a GM truck engine which was probably designed to last many many hours but I would have it surveyed before buying it. One last point, I would say buy it if you're okay with re-powering before you sell the boat some day.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Mine is a 93 TE28 with a Peninsular. Had some issues after I bought the boat and re-powered with a 2005 Peninsular long block (many thousands cheaper than any other re-power option). Since then she's been fine. Added upgraded solenoid for glow plugs and had to replace the starter once.
RNick
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Braintree, MA

Post by RNick »

Thanks for all the info. I will take it all into consideration.
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Post by Bluewater »

RNick - we bought our 1994 28TE Engine Box with a Peninsular engine 4 months ago - she had 2,100 hours then and we have alreaded added over 100 further hours - no problems. Aliitle smoke on starting but runs sweetly - people say they are loud but we really don't think so - depends on the accoustic insulation.
Good luck......
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”