• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

chartplotter goes off during engine start

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

chartplotter goes off during engine start

Post by Russell »

I remember seeing this topic mentioned a few years ago but I could not find it in a search. Someone mentioned a device to install to prevent the chartplotter from turning off from the voltage drop when the engine is started. I do a lot of drift fishing and like to turn the engine off but leave the chartplotter on so we can watch the bottom. If anyone knows how to prevent this, please respond. Thanks.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: chartplotter goes off during engine start

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote:I remember seeing this topic mentioned a few years ago but I could not find it in a search. Someone mentioned a device to install to prevent the chartplotter from turning off from the voltage drop when the engine is started. I do a lot of drift fishing and like to turn the engine off but leave the chartplotter on so we can watch the bottom. If anyone knows how to prevent this, please respond. Thanks.
Hello Russ,

This is a good solution: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1475021
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Sea Crawler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Trident Yacht Club, Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Post by Sea Crawler »

Hi Russ,
As an alternative and if you already have 2 batteries, this is an automatic option.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=750182
Robert Plante
1980 Albin 36 DC; FL120
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Thanks guys. This is just what I was looking for. I have two batteries so I will check how everything is wired and make a decision.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

Mine certainly did that the other day, but I did not mean to. I usually power thing on after the engine, and down before shutting the engine off.

My other toy is an airplane. I never turn on the electronics "radios" etc., until the engine is running. I was told that doing this could cause issues with the electronics. Electrical spikes etc. I also turn them off prior to shutting the engine down.

So for what that is worth, I do the same thing, most of the time on the boat, old habit.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Yes, that is what I normally do too. But I also would turn off the electronics with the dash switch. When I upgraded to a new Raymarine chartplotter this spring, the electronics man told me to be sure to power it down with its on-off button rather than the dash switch. He said it is like a computer that has to be shut down properly. Does anyone know if he is correct about that? In any case I have been following his advice and it is a nuisance to do it over and over before every engine restart.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Russ when you shut down the Ray unit does it immediately go off or does it do a countdown? Either way, there is no reason to deal with stuff like this, either reconfigure to isolate the electronics battery from your start battery or install the device I posted.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My thruster causes the electronic dance as well. I make it a habit to be sure they work before heading out but the re-boot is frustrating.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The thruster on FP2 occasionally will knock the electronics out. Not so much now new batteries have been fitted, in fact I can't recall it doing it for a while now.

Russ, the Raymarine Man is right. They must be shut down via the on off button. When you go into the bios of the unit, you'll find it's very Windows based.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Rob, yes the Raymarine C127 does a countdown and the re-boot takes time. Meanwhile I am waiting to see the tracks we just made to make a parallel drift. At least it does not dump its data until you erase them yourself. I will definitely fix this when we return to Florida in the fall.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

So, maybe I missed the solution regarding it happening from thruster use. Can I put one of these voltage regulators on my bow thruster? It’s not a problem coming in to my dock but I generally turn the chart plotter on before leaving the dock then loose it if hit the thruster. Plus it can’t be good for the unit.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Ater you start the engine and are doing your checks turn the battery switch to both. Then just bursts on the thruster no issues then.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Electronics”