• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Bilge Plug and Tool

Albin's "power cruisers"
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

A27 Bilge Plug and Tool

Post by PonusNick »

Looking for a spare bilge plug and removal tool for my 1985 A27.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A27 Bilge Plug and Tool

Post by Beta Don »

Bilge plug??

Is this the round deck plate in the floor of the aft cabin . . . . or what are we talking about?

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

There's a post or two on the yahoo Albin group where they identified the size and threads of the brass plug in the keel. If I can find it I will repost the info.

The tool is a 3/8" socket driver I believe.

Some info here down at the bottom re: drain plug
http://dejardine.com/page11/page20/page20.html
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate

Post by PonusNick »

Yes...it is the round brass plug on the base of the keel. I will check the link provided.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

The discussion in the Yahoo groups covers the A25. Not sure how well it relates to A27. Some excerpts below:

"
the plug we have is the original from 1970. it has straight threads and is about 7/16th inch in diameter, but is a European pitch. it is actually a proprietary part I believe. anyway, my machinist brother made nine of them for us some years ago. we still have the original, but keep it packed away to make more replacements. the threads are unique to the plug. we make sure it does not get painted with the blue bottom kote we use, and then spray it with clear bottom kote (similar to that used on aluminum boats in salt water) after it is installed. we use Teflon tape when installing the plug. we pull the radical element every fall, so the removal of the plug is critical to draining the boat of any bilge water left over from fall cleaning. we put a note on the helm to remind us to put the plug in before launching."

"My drain plug is metric, M15 x 1.00"

" brother made this for us. it is an exact copy of the European thread plug which came with our albin 25. the old one was getting tough to hold a screwdriver, so our family tool and die expert crafted nine copies for us. we can send his information, but you can probably take it to a neighborhood machinist and get it yourself. in the interim, it sounds like your whole fitting is turning. after you get the plug out, remove the inside lock nut from the thru hull fitting, check the condition of the hull where the through plug is installed. you may need to abandon the old hole and have a new one drilled. just forward of the existing one should do. bilge is flat bottomed there."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate

Post by PonusNick »

I still have the original plug and tool...the plug is in great shape. As suggested, I take great care in maintaining it and the hole...I'm looking for a spare.
When we launched last spring the tool and the plug grew feet and ran off but ultimately came home. Just don't want to repeat that panic.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”