• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Diesel fuel as discussed in Solomon's Island

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Diesel fuel as discussed in Solomon's Island

Post by Butch »

there was alot of discussion in Solomons about the diesel fuels, additives and pricing. Here is a synopsis of the salient points only.

1)New products are coming,LS, ULS, BioDiesel. New products tend to clean the fuel tanks, additives are not needed unless you are experiencing contamination.B5 which is 5% Bio and 95 %HS,LS ULS will likely be in the marine fuel within time. Like ethanol Biodiesel will clean your tank. Filters on boats are the key when changing products.Know what you have in your tank, we still have lots of HS(High Sulphur) in the Chesapaake Area, but LS(low Sulphur) is coming on fast, and ULS( ultra Low Sulphur)will be here in a couple of years if not before.B5 is coming on strong in Maryland in the Trucking industry, and will be in the Marine industry soon.
2) The marine engine manufactures are not saying too much about the new products . After this season, we will hear from them!

3)Refining distillates is second to gasoline in this country. As long as demand is up 2% and refining does not increase, and the use of so many different products, there will be bullishness and support for the price of fuel. Right now LS is 9- 10 cents higher than HS and ULS is 1-2 cents higher than LS, and Bio is 1 cent higher. these differential are unusually high. In the last 2 years, Diesel fuel has had the highest prices in August, this may happen again this year
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Butch,
Thanks for the information. It is invaluable for guys like me that just don't know about diesel fuel.
Thanks again to everyone that came to Solomons. I learned quite a bit about these boats just hanging out with you guys.
The admiral has decided we NEED the auto pilot. Thanks Chief!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

8) My pleasure John, always like to help a fellow boater reach his potential on spending money.....you will LOVE it.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I also decided to purchase an auto pilot based on our discussions in Solomons and should have it in and working this week 8)
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Richard wrote:I also decided to purchase an auto pilot based on our discussions in Solomons and should have it in and working this week 8)
Richard,
What brand did you end up going with? Are you installing it yourself? If not, may I ask what you installation charges are?
The reason I ask is because this is beyond my limited DIY capabilities.
John
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The reason I ask is because this is beyond my limited DIY capabilities.
An autopilot is not really that difficult to install. I have done a couple. The hardest part is deciding where to mount everything and where (what route) to run the various cables. The hydraulics can be a PIA esp with an older boat because you might need adapters..but other than that it's pretty straight forward.

[/quote]
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

John:

I purchased the Raymarine ST 8002 S1G kit from Anchor Marine (.com) for $1812. (best price I could find). This system has the gyro option (the "G" suffix) that helps keep the boat on a straight course when it is "rockin and rollin" in rough seas. It has a large display and dial for course adjustment.

The kit has everything needed except hydraulic hoses that have to be made up to connect the electro-hydraulic pump to the steering gear. Length depends upon where the pump is located.

I am having it installed on a time and materials basis and the estimate is $1500 including the hydraulic hoses and sea trial to set it up, calibrate it and show me how to use it. The boat has to be run in a large circle to complete the calibration. I will let you know the final cost as soon as the installation is complete.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

What specifically were the Solomon Island discussions on auto pilot about? We have a Raymarine on our boat and love it, but I'm wondering if there is more to it than I really know. I know it's interlaced with our gps, but I haven't moved up to that level use yet.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

No real discussion. We were looking at everyone's and then chief mentioned to the admiral how it improves the ride a little in rough seas. That was enough for Sharon. Anything over 3' is too much. <smile>
John
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Supposedly an autopilot can save fuel on long trips as it keeps you on course without a lot of wandering. I am hoping to get one installed soon so we can go off shore to the Gulf Stream, about 60 miles. Hand steering that far would get tiring.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

jcollins wrote:No real discussion. We were looking at everyone's and then chief mentioned to the admiral how it improves the ride a little in rough seas. That was enough for Sharon. Anything over 3' is too much. <smile>
Yeah, it is nice when your in the rough!
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Russell wrote:Supposedly an autopilot can save fuel on long trips as it keeps you on course without a lot of wandering. I am hoping to get one installed soon so we can go off shore to the Gulf Stream, about 60 miles. Hand steering that far would get tiring.
60 miles? Yikes! :shock: I guess I'm kind of lucky, at this time of year I can find the gulf stream within 10 off Key Largo. That's about as far off I'd go though with the little 20' center console we have down here.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

In the boating that I did off Key Largo, my experience was that, so long as a hurricane wasn't bearing down on you, and you had good electronics and a boat you were confident in, I'd have no problem going 50+ miles offshore. The conditions there seemed to be very mild compared to what I'm used to up here.

The biggest problem boating along the keys is the lack of identifiable landmarks that can be seen from more than a couple miles away. If you don't have a GPS it'd be easy to get lost both in the Florida Bay or on the Atlantic side. I found it very difficult to keep my frame of reference.

Return to “General Discussion”