• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel gauge accuracy

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Fuel gauge accuracy

Post by mjohnh »

The fuel gauge on my 28 TE consistently shows a little more that 3/4ths full.......Assuming that the gauge is "stuck" or broken....how do you fix or replace it?.......Does anyone with an untrusty fuel gauge use a dip stick...if so, what length and how is it calibrated?

Thank You.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Fuel gauge accuracy

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I just tested my guage and found that my sender is bad after pulling the back deck. I have decided to not replace the sender as I would have to pretty much pull the tank. So im likely to go the route of a flow scan everyone I've talked to says they are better and more accurate than a fuel guage.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks....sorry to be such a newbie on boats......what the heck is a flow scan and where do you get one?
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Flow scan is a device that measures the amount of fuel flowing through the fuel line. It gives you a real time fuel usage as well as total fuel burned since the last reset. Floscan is the name brand but there are other companies that make similar units.
http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/index.php
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Does anyone use a stick marked in inches and feet?...or, is the fill spout curved so that it can't reach the tank?........I have not tried this yet, and I will if I do not get "thumbs down" before I get back to my boat in 2 days....
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I can't get to anything that would allow me to use a stick like that.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Now trying to calibrate the Tempo fuel gauge on my A-28TE:
Last reading before today’s fill-up was 1/8 on the gauge and it equaled 16 gallons in the tank, hence reading was pretty close to actual.
This is a picture of the gauge with tank topped off @ 134 gallons:
44916817-8C2A-461A-8CD2-C26E9E41D347.jpeg
In other words, the gauge is way off at full tank, showing about 44 gallons less than actual.

The Flo Scan was off by 4% but now updated and another update at next fill-up should get it really close to actual burn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I'd be really interested in a sight tube, but getting to the drain valve on this tank is difficult. My gauge also only reads 3/4 full when I top off. But I'm concerned that I have the same tank vent issue that has been documented elsewhere on the forum and I'm not really full. Frustrating.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”