• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Resealing helm windows

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Resealing helm windows

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Has anyone pulled the pilot house windows and resealed them? Mine are leaking like sives when running in seas or in the rain. Im thinking I can just pull the outer frame and slap some sealant in there...also gonna do the same around the wiper shafts as I have some dripping there too...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Reselling helm windows

Post by Carl »

Ok, I'll bite, how much?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Jokes aside my port window has gone the same way. I notice water dripping out under the starboard trim that runs the length of the window underneath.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Damn autocorrect. That's what I get for posting at work. Lol.

Tree - that's where I originally saw water, but it's coming from the front of the boat (at least on mine) and dripping down the length of that piece of starboard. So combined with the leaks I found in the tops of the windows and wiper motors I think I need to pull the windows and reseal. I was hoping the putside was just trim and I could just pull the trim and apply like 4000 or 4200 and be done....
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Resealing helm windows

Post by Nancy »

Jeremy, I corrected the spelling on the subject line for you. :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Thank you. Unfortunately my powers only extend to the maintenence section. Lol
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Thank you. Unfortunately my powers only extend to the maintenence section. Lol
Yeah, I haven't quite figured out how the magic wand works. lol
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
tadel001
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stevensville, MD

Post by tadel001 »

My windows have trim seals (don't know what you call them but they fibers like a brush for the windows to slide in between) that are failing apart. I want to replace those. I would be interested in hearing where you can get them and also how involved it was in pulling the outer frames to reseal.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had this same problem a few months ago. I removed and resealed the port window but there was still some water coming in after a rain or run in heavy seas. I found by removing the trim pieces on the port windshield that there was a small leak that ended up coming out under the port window. Setting a hose with a slow stream for several minutes on the windshield revealed the leak. Resealing the windshield finally stopped all the leaks. The side window frame had a black double sticky gasket which was fairly easy to remove and replace with caulk. The bolt in the bottom forward corner could not be replaced because there is no room for a screwdriver. The windshield has small gaskets but is surrounded by caulk which I replaced without removing the glass. I suggest testing both places with a hose before taking anything apart.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Do the front trim peices come off without the glass coming out? That's what im hoping. I had the boat out on a rainy high seas day and marked where on the inside the water was coming through. I'll be sure to double check with a hose!
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

I'm fighting the same problem with the front windows.
I am planing to caulk the corners of the window trim where they have separated.
I'd be very interested to know more about removing the front window trim and re-sealing.

Thanks,

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

The trim pieces are only cosmetic, they do not seal the window. They are jammed in under the edges and easy to pull out and put back. Start by prying out a corner with a screwdriver. When you remove them you will see how the windshield is sealed with caulk and a gasket. A previous owner tried to seal the leak by caulking the trim pieces which did not help and looked unsightly. Once removed they can be cleaned thoroughly and replaced looking like new. If you have someone to help you the glass can be removed to seal everything but I was afraid of breaking it by myself and just digging out the caulk around the edges and applying new did the trick. It may seem obvious, but do not replace the trim until the caulk is dry. Someone had done that on my boat and made a mess.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Russ, good info, but where was the camera for that work! We don't have much on that here, at all...

I fixed a bunch of leaks on T-R over the years but never a one in the wheelhouse.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Russ - just to make sure im understanding this before I take a whack at it tomorrow...if I pull the screws on the outside around the windsheild I will be removing a trim peice and will be able to access the gasket and sealant around the window. I can either clean it out there (likely what I will do) or pull out the screws on the inside to pull the glass out completely. The trim itself is not sealed but covers the frame to pilot house seal. Do I have that right? I guess it will become readily apparent tommorrow when I start pulling screws but just wanted to have an idea. I'll try and remember to take pics of the project
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Your 98 model may be different from my 05 but it was not necessary to remove any screws. Just pull out the rubber-like trim pieces and you can reseal around the glass. I suppose there could be a leak around the frame but I could see the slow leak from inside the pilot house and it was in the bottom inside corner of the glass. Water gets trapped behind the trim pieces and slowly leaks in until it is dry. The trim pieces do hold the glass in the frame but I think it was sealed with the windshield lying flat and it would be difficult to hold it in place if you take it completely out. Good luck.

Rob when I work on the boat I am usually dripping with sweat, with cut or pinched fingers, bruises up and down my arms from prying against tight enclosures, angry and cussing over seized fasteners and in no mood to stop and take pictures. Sometimes I wish I had for my own reference so I will try to remember to do it in the future.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”