• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Resealing helm windows

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Resealing helm windows

Post by RobS »

Russ thanks for reminding us how much fun we're having :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Actually I do enjoy working on the boat, always striving for perfection that is never fully realized. Here is a picture of my last project before going north for the summer. It is an inexpensive rocket launcher but it is extremely handy for rigging the rods when trolling. It is also removable leaving a flat surface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Who makes the mount? Im interested in making a table with that kind of mount for the back deck.

Soooo the windows...yea. So I pulled the trim and re-siliconed them let the silicone skin over and reinstalled the trim. Cleaned up and went to swim in the marina pool and get some lunch. After that we went back and retested the windows - still leaking! So we pulled all the screws in the windows but weren't able to pull them. So we ran a bead of silicone where each window meets the pilot house and in each screw hole..didn't have time to test it after resealing the deck. But I can't imagine where else the water could be coming in!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I purchased the rocket launcher from Marine Liquidators in Fort Pierce. I was thinking about a used one but they did not have one but talking to them on the phone they told me about the new one they carry. I think it was around $300 complete. You can buy just the base and I think he said something about a table which I may check on myself.
http://www.themarineconnection.net/index.html

But most of the boating supply stores like Defender or go to marine have others, some with the table. You can also purchase the hardware to mount the table and make your own table. Here is a Todd table from Defender for $117. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1972855

I hope your leak is repaired but I would not have put the trim pieces in until the silicone was completely dry. If you set your hose to a slow stream you can direct it on the windshield only or above the frame to differentiate between the two sources for the leak.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

When I originally went to find the leak I ran it on the window and it leaked in the cabin. So I sealed that up. The. Ran it on the frame and got a leak there. Like I said havent had a chance to test that but hopefully tomorrow
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Posting on an old thread, but has anyone been successful at sourcing the outer rubber 'trim' pieces for these windows? I don't have leaks but the rubber that is exposed is really dry-rotted.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

American Marine Mfg Inc.
2637-W-76st
Hialeah.Fla.33016

BUS- 305-428-2171

FAX- 786-483-7557

Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Thanks Tom! Will they know the part I'm referencing?
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Tom! I've been waiting years to learn this information! Thank you!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

All they need is a pic and dimensions - I almost changed mine but cheated and sealed them for now too many other projects that are taking priority.

Tom
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: sarasota

Post by boatruptcy »

I think you're better off pulling the old trim out and taping and caulking with life caulk. It is an extra layer of security against leaks if the bedding is getting tired underneath and if you take your time and do it right it looks great.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I tried to pull the external window frames but they were bedded on with 5200 and would not budge.
As for black seals around forward windows (windshields) : They were coming apart with gaps and voids.
Instead of pulling the gaskets I used masking tape and black life caulk. No leaks and looks perfect.
Will shoot a picture, but we have a week with heavy rains and thunderstorms. Just checked on the boat, not a drop of water coming in : Had leaks on the 3 small portholes, removed gasket, cleaned gasket and plastic frame and reinstalled gaskets, no more leaks,
Forward V-berth has was leaking: Not the gasket but where the aluminum meets the fiberglass. Cleaned outside with acetone after I blasted the frame with a heat gun to remove any water trapped, then blue masking tape and clear marine silicone all the way around using a pinkie to push it in. Leak stopped. (For now anyway, the sun UV may burn the silicone over some time, if the leak keep coming back I will pull the frame and re-bed it.)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Would love to see how it turned out with the life caulk. That's what I was thinking of doing, but that stuff's pretty expensive so I thought I might do just as well buying the custom gasket.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”