• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Can You ID This Part??

Albin's "power cruisers"
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Can You ID This Part??

Post by stxray »

Hey Guys,
Here's a shot of the dash of my A25. It has the fitting indicated by the arrow to the left of the steering wheel and there's another one to the right. I have no idea what it is or what it's used for. Any thoughts??
ID Part.jpg
Also, if I look under the dash at the hub to which the steering wheel is connected, there's a thick, white cable-looking thing that goes to the rudder. I assume it's the control cable. However, I also have a short piece of plastic tube coming out of the hub that doesn't go anywhere or connect to anything. Any idea what it is and what it's for?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Can You ID This Part??

Post by Beta Don »

Assuming you have cable steering similar to what the A27's use, that short plastic tube is where the end of the steering cable goes when you turn the wheel - The end of the cable moves in and out of that tube, otherwise the greasy cable end would be collecting dirt and dust and introducing it into the steering gear

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Right on, Don.
The white doothang looks like part of a holder for a cellpone or ipod or handheld gps. Right next to the "vacuum cleaner" power outlet described in the Handbook. Or maybe yet another device for measuring metric threads like the oversized clothes pin described elsewhere.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

Since I have another one to the right of the steering wheel, I thought it might have something to do with the steering, such a tie downs for an autopilot. The way they're positioned, it looks like it could a towel bar with the bar missing.

That said, your post got me to thinking...

Regardless of what it actually is, maybe I could re-purpose it into say, a cup holder. You know, I nice place to place a cold one while under way :lol:
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

A cold soda, I assume?
I did notice you said there were two of them. My wheel, rudder, and consequently boat, track to starboard if left to its own devices. I am thinking I should look at front end alignment, or maybe new tires, then I remember it is a boat. I have thought of trying to devise a simple way to hold the wheel that is easily overcome when necessary. And I have been thinking about autopilot, having seen a few of them in A25s listed for sale. Looks like a pulley is tied to the back (forward) of the wheel with a big rubber band running off to a motor mounted off to the right. Intriguing. Heck, if we get this fancy, I may have to abandon my sextant!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”