• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2002 35 CB

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

2002 35 CB

Post by BobHaze »

We just sold our 28 TE (which we loved) and are looking for a 35 CB. Just looked at a 2002 model and I have a couple of questions:
- This boat has the solid, molded-in swim platform and not the bolt-on type we had on our 28 and I see on other, later model 35 CBs on YachtWorld. The listing broker said the boat is listed as a 35 CB because that's what Albin painted on the side, but he thinks it's really a 32+2 in disguise. The cockpit is only about 6' 6" long according to my outstretched arms, and there are no storage lockers in the transom. The question is: is this really a 35 CB and/or, how long is the cockpit on later model 35's?
- The air conditioner is 10,000 BTU. Is that big enough for this boat, particularly in southern climes?
- Less important, but just out of curiosity: The cockpit sink on this boat is in a structure that is plumb and has 2 drawers, but on later models the sink housing tapers in and has no drawers. Why did Albin change this thing and eliminate the drawers?

I really like a lot about Albin boats and am excited at the prospect of moving up to the 35. Any & all thoughts and input will be appreciated.
Bob
2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 2002 35 CB

Post by RobS »

No pics?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobHaze »

This is the boat I posted about.
Albin 35 CB.jpg
Stern shot 2.jpg
Stern shot 3.jpg
Transom.jpg
Cockpit sink.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Bob
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yes, she’s cleary a 32+2. The 35 decal makes zero sense, Albin was known for this head scratching kinda stuff..

As to the cabinet under the sink - It is all about the engine hatch covers. The 32 and 32+2 had a removable 3 pc hatch over the engine where the 35 has a large single pc cover that is hinged and needs the clearance when lifted up. The steps to the bridge are also different for the same reason.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobHaze »

Thanks Rob - that's a huge help.

And just to add to the confirmation, she does in fact have a 3 piece engine hatch cover.
Bob
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Here's a shot of the hinged single hatch on the "real" 35CB's. From what I have seen the single hatch does a better job of keeping the engine bay free from overhead leaks and is easier to deal with rather than removing the 3 panels. But (there is always a but) you can see that the staircase ladder on the 35CB's sits on the hatch and swings up in order to open the hatch. This is fine except when you need to access the bridge with the engine hatch up - the folded staircase ladder is not usable AND blocks your access to climb up to the bridge. This can be a PITA when you wish (or more importantly when you "need") to run the boat with the hatch open to check on things or when servicing. The prudent thing to do is change out the pivot bolts to removable pins so the ladder can be placed aside (the bridge is low enough to access with it)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

I wonder if she had repair work, and they couldn’t find the correct decal,
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape May, NJ

Post by taggteam »

Careful with this one...I looked at it too.
I wont post any details...but if you're looking, I'll share what I found.

It is likely titled a 35. In 2002, they were 35 "prototypes".
The 2002 Brochure for the 35 CB actually has a photo of the 32+2 on the cover.
They should have at least renamed it temporarily 32+3...
While Albin was a great boat builder...apparently designers were not very good at math!

Seems like they just stopped calling it a 32+2....and made new 35 decals...then eventually, moved the cockpit back to meet the stern.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”