• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raymarine Axiom and Quantum radar

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Raymarine Axiom and Quantum radar

Post by amber jj »

I am thinking of replacing our Navnet2 plotter and radar.I have been looking at the 12 inch MFD Axiom with the Quantum 18 inch radar.I am trying to get some feedback on real people that have used the product rather than the hype you get from the reviews.Also I would like to know if the side scan transducer can be placed towards the aft of the keel on our 31TE and still work properly.Right now the ducer is on starboard below helm.That location will not be suitable for sidescan to see to port because of the keel.Thanks for any input.Bob
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Raymarine Axiom and Quantum radar

Post by Panhdjoe »

Unrelated, but I may be in the market for a working used Radar, If I can not get my Raymarine fixed. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

Everything except the transducer for the sounder was working fine when I last used it.I will keep you in mind.Thanks Bob
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

I beleive the side scan uses two transducers one for each side.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

That apparently was one option.The people I am dealing with say I can use the transom mount placed just off centre on the transom.They figure there is enough down angle on the shaft and props that the turbulence won't affect the signal.If that does not work I would have to go back to the dual ducers.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maye Marie »

Amber
I will going through the same process as you. Will be upgrading my electronics this winter with the Axiom. Replacing my C-120, 4KW radar, 300 fish finder. nav computer and 6006 auto pilot head.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

I bit the bullet and purchased the 12 inch axiom and quantum radar. I spent last weekend tearing out the old unit and wiring and made the two new cable runs for the radar. I also made a new plate for the unit as the hole was too big. This weekend I will run the transducer cable and do the 12 volt wiring to the panel. I will also drill new holes for the radome and connect wiring. That will be about as far as I will go. I will leave the gateway wiring to hook up to the auto pilot and the dsc for the vhf up to the technician. I don’t mind the grunt work but am not to knowledgeable on the techy stuff.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

4DE32F91-58AC-49EA-9E5D-02375A87432E.jpeg
h
1DEE890E-9D62-4232-A074-02DF6395868C.jpeg
DFE4A9F1-A01B-42CC-AF03-C2F707BF27EE.jpeg
5F6DCBA4-93FB-48D7-BEB2-8304E45E95C5.jpeg
Well its all installed now and a set of air horns too. I still have to caulk the transducer bracket and cable clips. Also the horn not screwed down either until we get some warmer weather. Most of the work was done in 3-5 degree Fahrenheit weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maye Marie »

Amber
Did the same 12 years ago and installed all Raymarine electronic equipment. We have run and fished the Albin hard in all weather, night and day, so have relied on the electronics allot. It has been no problems with the equipment in all the years used. Good electronics has given me a great amount of safety and confidence to go. But with new technology It is time to upgrade.

I bit the bullet also and purchased the Evolution autopilot with P70 control head, 12 inch axiom pro, 220 side scan transducers and the quantum radar. I like what I am seeing with the chirp technology for radar and fish finding. I was pretty happy with the 4 KW radar I have been using. Hoping the quantum lives up to its sell. Thank you for showing what you have done. Starting to plan out my installation so gave reminders of what I have ahead.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

amber jj,

Love that air horn set up. Now if I could figure out where to put it on our A25...
The radar upgrade is nice too!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Wow that air horn setup is Dee-Lux!

Here's my slightly lower tech $8 air horn solution (you may think I'm kidding, but I'm not, it's for real, I keep one of these in the wheelhouse, and they are quite loud)...
air horn.jpg
Hey, it works! We don't call the Albin 25 a "poor man's trawler" for nothing.
Most of the work was done in 3-5 degree Fahrenheit weather.
Brrrr!

Here's a screen shot of our currrent weather conditions in Arizona...
aaweather118.jpg
You just don't want to be here from June through September...
20170505_152723_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “Electronics”