• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Surveyor Recommendations

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Surveyor Recommendations

Post by RobS »

I am very interested in a 28TE in Rhode Island but I am from Long Island. Any surveyor recomendations in the New England area would be greatly recommended. I think a NE guy would be more Albin knowledgable than sending a LI guy up there. Any good guys I can call in?? Thanks in advance!
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

surveyor

Post by RicM »

I used Johnson Marine Services. They were reasonably priced and did a good job.
http://www.johnsonmarineservices.com/
He is not a certified diesel mechanic, so it's a basic engine system inspection, but on most diesel engines if runs and sounds OK it's OK. There are some issues with various motors that Albin used, so you may want to do more research on the engine type.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Capt. Norm LeBlanc

Post by Pitou »

When I bought my Albin I had Capt. Norm LeBlanc recommended to me from a friend in the marine special risks insurance industry. He traveled to Tiverton RI, no problem from his main office in Danvers, MA. His office covers the entire eastern seaboard. I was very satisfied with his services including going on the sea trial the same day. He was helpful with important tactful negotiation. You'll also find his running ad in SOUNDINGS magazine.

Best of luck in your pursuit of an Albin.

http://www.marinesurveyor.com/leblanc/index2.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks for the names, I will make some calls later today.

This one is a 2000 and has the Yanmar 6LP w/450hrs. I spoke to Mack Boring in Mass and they will do an engine survey including sea trial w/photo-tac, etc. for $108/hr with a 4hr min, 8 hr max. It's not cheap and the engine ran perfect (no tapping un decelleration) but considering the cost of the investment it seems like money well spent.... I will also speak with them to discuss completing the recommended work on the valves including replacing the seals, keepers, guides and caps and inspecting the valve train and springs and then extending the warranty.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Engine & Valves

Post by RicM »

It's your call, but if you are going to have them do the valves anyway, I don't think you would really need the survey as well.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Yes on Johnson Marine Services

Post by Legacy »

I concur with Ric M on Johnson Marine Services - - they did my second Albin and they were a huge help, responsive and very nice.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had a Cummins diesel mechanic do an engine survey when I purchased my Albin last year and it was well worth the money. I was able to ask him questions the whole time and learned how to do the routine maintenance including how to change the fuel filter without bleeding the system. He and the boat surveyor gave me a list of things to repair that was used to negotiate the final price I paid. The savings were much more than the cost of the surveys and the seller had no objections as it was right there in black and white.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “General Discussion”