• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

32 command bridge twin diesel?

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
upgrayedd
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: orange county CA

32 command bridge twin diesel?

Post by upgrayedd »

Looking at a 1991 32 command bridge sportfisher on yachtworld with twin 6bta diesels, does anybody have any information on this boat or this model. Everything I can find seems only to be applicable to the single diesel model.
upgrayedd
Swabby
Swabby

Re: 32 command bridge twin diesel?

Post by upgrayedd »

cricket...........
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Definitely an odd duck but not necessarily an ugly duckling..... There will be some trade-offs like loss of the keel w/protected running gear but the engine placement on the CB series is less than ideal so this could make things better as to that and the boat must really perform well. Did you look at it?

Those look like the CPL970 6BTA's and have the earliest version of Cummins saltwater aftercoolers.....total junk.....they are all welded design with no way to inspect or service them internally. Not many of them still around on saltwater boats. I'd consider them up from immediate replacement and I would also want to see inside the intake plenum for any rust in case those aftercoolers were already misting saltwater. An oil sample would be prudent too. You can tell those are the earliest of the square aftercoolers because the next version had a removable air horn up top that would let you see inside. And then the next version had the integrated grid heaters.

At least in this twin screw version the engines are inside the cabin living in a MUCH more protected environment than the single screw with the v-drive that sits under a leaky cockpit deck. For this the cabin arrangement is altered but a worthy trade-off in my opinion.

FWIW, I'd say this boat should not be overlooked...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
upgrayedd
Swabby
Swabby

Post by upgrayedd »

Wow, that’s what I was looking for, great information thanks! We were just looking at the ad as we are on the west coast and would have to fly in, do a full survey and ship when weather permits. I really like the boat from what I can see but the logistics make this really difficult so I was trying to gather as much information as possible. On a side note do you think the performance numbers are embellished? 26-28knot cruise seems really fast considering the single engine seems to have a 14-17 knot cruise?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The original 32 was a squatter (hence the birth of the 32+2) so this twin screw boat probably has a better running angle because the engine placement is further fwd (straight drives instead of v-drive). Also, a good part of the keel is removed - that makes for less wetted surface/drag and also makes for much more efficient props. A prop behind a keel is seeing turbulent waters. The props on this boat are now off to the sides of the keel seeing clean water. My 36' Chris Craft SF Commander has the 6BTA 330B's (315bhp) and probably weighs 10K lbs more than this boat and she cruises 22 knots, so if those performance numbers are inflated it will not be by much at all. I'd say it's an honest easy mid-20 knot cruiser.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”