• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Honda eu2000i generator

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Digging up a thread from 2006....hmm

I have been thinking alot of getting the Honda EU2000 generator and have had some concerns about where to keep the gas for it. Cant store it under the deck at all, not a gas vapor friendly environment.
I also wish to use it for light duty backup for my house in case of blackout. I have natural gas to my house and I found a tri-fuel adapter kit for the Honda 2000. (Regular gas, Propane and Natural gas)
So now I am thinking... we all carry propane cylinders for BBQs.. where do we store them and is it safer the liquid gas ?
I called the company today to talk about the conversion. I need to call back to see if I can find someone knowledgeable on how long will it run on a 1LB propane cylinder (with certain load of course), if its in the several hours range, propane instead of gas may be an option.
I guess I am just looking for comments here on #1) the Honda 2000, #2)how long does it run on a gallon of gas #3) does anyone see issues with this ?

Thanks

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Matt,
I am not an authority but I use 2 of them. I carry one onboard when we will be on the hook for an extended period of time. I have never run it more than a couple of hours. When I overnight, I carry an extra gallon of gas in a plastic container. I keep it in the transom fishbox. I don't have air conditioning on the boat but others have mentioned that it works well.

But, I also use one for our Airstream when we are there. It powers the all the AC options (lights, refrig, battery charger) but does not have enough for the air conditioner. On those HOT days, I connect the two generators together to run the air conditioner.
Run time is about 5 hrs. (with load) The tank holds 1.1 gallons.
I also purchased the extended run tank which holds 6 gallons. I can run both generators for about 15 hrs. or one for 30 hrs. (I can, but I never have) :)
They work great. Start right up and are very quiet.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

propane

Post by RicM »

I keep my propane in the baitwell. Propane being heavier than air, any leaks will exit through Drain if left open. If ignition were to happen, the top might blow off, but that's about it.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

You might want to take a look at the Yamaha EF2400is. Its a tad bit heavier but looks to be as quiet or quieter than the Honda. It has 3000W surge and claims to be capable of runing a 13500 BTU Air conditioner. A friend of mine got one for his RV and loves it. It runs the RV and the air conditioner just fine. They are on E-BAy for $1049.00 plus $40 shipping.

I hope to get one over the winter!

Carl
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

Dam Carl I may have to renege w/ Santa on the Honda, That Yamaha looks pretty good
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

You guys are right. I looked at the Yamaha and one of those would have run the A/C in my trailer. There were two factors in my decision.
1. - Weight
2. - Long term reliability.
John
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

John, I have a Yamaha lawn tractor with one of thier 4 stroke engines that I purchased around 1990. They only made them for a few years and discontinued production. (sound familiar from my previous posts?) I am still useing this tractor today. Other than batteries, blades and oil changes, it continues to run every time I hit the key. It still has the original belts on the mower! I think the motor will be fine, but I cant comment on the rest of the components. My 2 cents.

Carl
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

15+ years? I wouldn't complain about that. If my Hondas last that long I'll be happy. And, too old to worry about it anyway. :D
John
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Thanks for the feedback.
The Yamaha does look like a nice option (It will work for so many more things) but it is bigger than I wanted. I was hoping to store the generator under the hatch between the pilothouse seats. I already built a flat surface in there. BUT as everyone commented storing gas below decks is not a good idea, so thats why I wished to go to LP, when done I could air out the unit for a bit and then store it feeling ok.
If anyone is interested I found a site the does these conversions as well as sells the Yamaha with tri-fuel. good info in their FAQ section.
I found that a 20# LP = ~5 gal gas, therefore 1# LP = quart of gas ( 1.5 hours run time). Not what I was hoping for, but I have not given up yet.

http://www.propane-generators.com/
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “General Discussion”