• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Essex Island Beckons!! (With a discount!!)

Coordinators: Doug and Kat Campbell
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Essex Island Beckons!! (With a discount!!)

Post by DougSea »

TEMPORARILY MOVED TO GLOBAL POST - If you're in the Northeast there's still time to join us!

If you ARE attending please check the attendance post below and make sure you've been accounted for!

Hi all!

Since it's NEVER too early to think about summer I wanted to more formally announce the date and place for the 2019 AOG NE Rendezvous!

We'll be at Essex Island Marina (EIM) from Friday, June 28th, through Sunday, June 30th. Formerly a Brewer's Yard, EIM is now part of the Safe Harbor family since the two companies merged two years ago. This is Sonny's home marina and we love it here! It's about 30 minutes up the Connecticut River to the marina once you clear the breakwater at Old Saybrook. The marina itself is very nice and very dog friendly for those of you bringing the pups along! There's a beautiful pool (MUCH nicer than most marinas, in my opinion!) and lots of room to explore if the kids are along.

We'll be in "A-Basin", see pics below for a winter view, and will have both "The Deck" (if there are enough of us for it to make sense) and "The Wheelhouse" that sits above the dock office for our use.

If you've never been here - yes, it's really on an island. And the little ferry will gladly take you on the LOOOONG 100' trip across to the mainland. From there you can take a very short walk up the hill into downtown Essex. The Griswold Inn (In operation since 1776!) is there at the top of the hill. VERY popular bar and restaurant along with the Inn.Turn right to walk up Main Street to the "Black Seal" - my favorite watering hole - or turn left and walk down to the new restaurant at Essex Boat Works (it's still under construction and I forget the name), as well as the Connecticut River Museum.

Marley's, the restaurant on the Island is gone. (Long story) After a YEAR of trying to get a new place established I'm told that a deal is in the works and there SHOULD be a restaurant on the Island this summer. We'll see!

The marina uses Dockwa for their reservations and I believe reservations open for the season on or about the 15th of February www.dockwa.com You should put in to the comments that you're with AOG.

I'd LOVE to see a nice heavy turnout this year! We seem to get a lot of the TE's - how about some A25/27's? CB's? Trawlers? I'm expecting at least one ET - any more? Perhaps a Compton will return! Non-Albins are ABSOLUTELY welcome. If you're here on AOG - this event is for you! And if you can't come by boat - there's always the Gris!

Hoping to see you all soon!

A few winter images for you!

Can you spot Southern Cross, Wine Down, Kokomo, and Sonny IV?? :)
EIM-Aerial-2015.png
A-Basin-NewDocksandOffice.jpeg
A-BasinMainString.jpeg
A-BasinBulkheadAndNewFraming.jpeg
A-BasinBulkheadAndBarge.jpeg
A-BasinIcedIn.jpeg
FrozenPool.jpeg
ColdShuffleboard.jpeg
MissingBDockandCDock.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Essex Island Beckons!!

Post by WillieC »

We would LOVE to show up in our A25! Now at 6kts from Hood Canal, out the Strait of Juan De Fuca, turn left at Cape Flattery...we should have left LAST summer!

Hope you have a great time and thanks for the invite!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 pm We seem to get a lot of the TE's
Except last year which, as far as I know, was the only "28TE-less" year...
Last edited by RobS on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

WillieC wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 am We would LOVE to show up in our A25! Now at 6kts from Hood Canal, out the Strait of Juan De Fuca, turn left at Cape Flattery...we should have left LAST summer!

Hope you have a great time and thanks for the invite!
You'd do better walking, as the crow flies :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

TMW
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Connecticut

Post by TMW »

Hello everyone. You can count the Compton in, if I remember how to put it all back together again. We tied it into a longer trip East as soon as we saw the dates firm up and we're looking for to it.

Come on spring,
Joe and Linda
Too Much Weekend
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

TMW wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:04 pm ..... if I remember how to put it all back together again.
What are you doing? Seawater side servicing?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

TMW
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Connecticut

Post by TMW »

Hi Rob, Water side was the easy part. The rest is a long story but so typical of aging boats. I won't tie up this post with the gory details and will start one in the maintenance section.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hi all!

Time to start getting serious about the summer! It's a blustery 50 degrees here in beautiful Essex - but that will all change soon!!

We can all thanks RobS who asked yesterday if there was a discount code for our Rendezvous. Normally there isn't - but the marina manager (Amy) is super nice and when her favorite customer's husband asked about a discount for the group she sent me this. 25% off your slip for the entire stay!
Albin Rend. 2019 resize.png
She even agreed to add a day before and after for anyone who might want to arrive early or stay an extra day. Sweet! :D

I really want to encourage people to come out to the Rendezvous - especially if you haven't ever attended one. AOGer's are a friendly bunch of folks and it's always a great time. Plus we all love giving tours of our boats, so you can pick up all kinds of ideas!

If you have any questions at all please feel free to post them here or send me a PM/e-mail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Merrick, NY

Re: Essex Island Beckons!! (With a discount!!)

Post by LISal »

Excellent!! Thank you =.. I will be attending this year and look forward to meeting the group in person... The vessel has surpassed all expectations and we have found each other to be a perfect fit. On her maiden voyage we covered over 140 miles and when the weather turned and a 5 plus foot chop showed up. I was impressed when I didn't even have to back down and maybe once she hit off a wave but 99 percent where absorbed by her beautiful design. Fishing is a complete pleasure and I am so happy. client just showed up back to work...
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

LISal wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:44 pm Excellent!! Thank you =.. I will be attending this year and look forward to meeting the group in person...
And we look forward to meeting you! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I'm hoping we should be able to come down the river. If the rain stops by then the CT river should be usable so we could launch in Wethersfield or Rocky Hill and come down. We bought our Albin 25 last fall in Mystic and been restoring it over the fall and winter and she should be all set by then for overnight use.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

tribologist wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:14 pm I'm hoping we should be able to come down the river. If the rain stops by then the CT river should be usable so we could launch in Wethersfield or Rocky Hill and come down. We bought our Albin 25 last fall in Mystic and been restoring it over the fall and winter and she should be all set by then for overnight use.

Ulf
Would be great to have an A25 join the party!
Doug
Sonny IV
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Thanks! We got the reservation confirmed so we are coming. It will be our first time at a marina so it will be interesting. We have a lot to learn. Hopefully we are not going to wear out all of you with silly questions.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
southerncross
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mount Sinai Harbor

Post by southerncross »

We have secured a spot for the 2019 Edition at Essex, thanks for setting it up, and we look forward to the Event....
SEA YOU ALL SOON
Gene & Susan
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

So let's take attendance... :D (Updated 6/26)

*Doug and Kat (DougSea) will move Sonny IV (35TE) a couple of hundred feet...
*Jack and Barbara (Jack) will move Kokomo (28TE) a couple of hundred yards
*Rob and Erika (RobS) on "TENACIOUS" (Chris Craft 36) - Unfortunately unable to attend
*John and Marsha (jointventure) on Joint Venture (31TE)
*Joe and Linda (TMW) on Too Much Weekend (Compton 33)
*Gene and Susan (southerncross) on Southern Cross (31TE)
*Ulf (tribologist) on Driftless (A25)
LISal on the former Serenity (28TE)
*Erin Marcotta on TomKat 2 (28TE)
*Dave and Annette (dmorlo52) on Wine Down (35TE)
* tjamison and Ann on their new to them 32+2 CB

If there's a star before your name then you're on the list that I got from the marina. If NOT - please confirm that you put AOG in the notes (you can call the marina at (860) 767-2483 so they know to put you in A-Basin with us)

And of course there's still time for folks to sign up! There are a couple of regulars not in the list yet... :shock:
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “13th Northeast Rendezvous - June 28-30 - Essex Island Marina”