• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Dkantor
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Rockport, ME

Post by Dkantor »

Hi everyone,

I just purchased (last week) a 2001/2002 TE in Hingham, MA. A buddy and I moved her up to Rockport, Maine in two days, no incidents. Lots of things on the boat don’t work at the moment...plenty of deferred maintenance from the previous owner...but the important stuff...engine and steering...were fine.

This is my 6th boat and 2nd powerboat. Aforementioned buddy and I owned an Eastbay 38 for a few years before he decided to go back to sail.

The boat will mostly be used for day trips to explore the islands in Penobscot Bay and points east, with very occasional overnights. Am very excited to be back on the water (we spent last year boatless after the Eastbay sold quickly) and want to thank everyone on this forum for all of the valuable information and advice I’ve picked up just from reading.

Pic of boat at the Rockport town dock is attached below.
5BCE4366-ECF7-4235-B1CC-ED24AE89A600.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: New member

Post by Norseman »

Welcome aboard and congrats with the new boat.
What things does not work, and which motor do you have?
Lots of info on this forum how to fix stuff without reinventing the wheel.
Got the same year model and been busy doing “stuff”.
Great boats.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Welcome to the forum and there is plenty of helpful information here from lots of folks.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Dkantor
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Dkantor »

Norseman, we have the Yanmar with just over 2000 hours. Seems to have been well maintained and runs fine.

Most of the non working stuff relates to electronics. Chart plotter has an intermittent fault. Radar is n.g. Autopilot appears to have a frozen hydraulic pump. Battery charger and inverter appear not to be working. That kind of thing. Refrigerator is rusted out due to a neglected leaking port, which also caused damage to the cabin side (wet core) and galley bulkhead. All of this will be addressed over the summer or in the fall.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"Most of the non working stuff relates to electronics."

Oh, just the cheap stuff, HA!

Welcome aboard Dkantor. Let the fun begin!
Dkantor
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Dkantor »

WillieC, ha ha is right. Fortunately most of this was known when we bought the boat and we got a price adjustment for it. Naturally the actual cost of fixing everything will be about twice the adjustment, but that's how it is with boats. (This is not my first rodeo.) Let the games begin, indeed!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Boy do I know this... you want forward scan and total scan? Oh you need another ethernet sonar hub. Ha Ha Don't tell the Commodore.. But my swivels and hooks arrived yesterday. Here fishy fishy.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
KODIAK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, Maine

Post by KODIAK »

Congrats! Glad to have another member in Maine!
Keep our 2001 28TE at Brewers in South Freeport. If I can be of any assistance.............

Win Pillsbury
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Post by sailonset »

Great harbor! Always stopped there when we were sailing. Not sure yet whether we'll make it that far now.
The list of things to do/redo is ever-growing. Glad our hydraulic steering works, as does the Yanmar repower. Conveniently for us, the fridge was 110v and gladly carried off by a crane operator.
Headed out of Hingham harbor with our first sailboat, a Ranger 23, many years ago.
dge
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard!
Most of the non working stuff relates to electronics. Chart plotter has an intermittent fault. Radar is n.g. Autopilot appears to have a frozen hydraulic pump. Battery charger and inverter appear not to be working. That kind of thing. Refrigerator is rusted out due to a neglected leaking port, which also caused damage to the cabin side (wet core) and galley bulkhead. All of this will be addressed over the summer or in the fall.
“There’s nothing––absolutely nothing––half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows
That'll keep you busy for a while, until summer comes, (i.e. Maine's seasons, 'winter and July' :D )
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”