• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27fc prop shaft stuffing

Albin's "power cruisers"
6S2344
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: FALMOUTH MASS.

27fc prop shaft stuffing

Post by 6S2344 »

i'm thinking about installing an access hatch in deck above the prop shaft stuffing box. Thinking in the 8x12'' range.Any thoughts? will it be a weak spot? Has anyone done this? Thx,Matt
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Re: 27fc prop shaft stuffing

Post by coolchange »

hi...I have a 27FC and it already has a hatch..seems like it was built when the boat was manufactured (drop flush with the deck and into a glassed ledge.) It sits half under the steps (they pull out to get the panel off). gives access to stuffing box and a place to drop in a bilge pump when necessary. That said the answer (from me only) is that it is not going to cause a problem if you use reasonable care ..keeping debris out of bilge pump,,good attachment for the lips that will hold it etc

Surprised to hear they are not standard
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: 27fc prop shaft stuffing

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Coolchange,

A bit off topic, but do you have any cruise plans for this summer? We're doing the San Juans & Gulf Islands, late June through early to mid August, and will be passing through Portland & Eugene on the road trip home. Here's an idea: the BC Albineers are holding a rendezvous in Ladysmith on the weekend of July 11th & 12th. Blaine harbor has free long term truck/trailer parking at the ramp. That's a 300 mile day's drive for you.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”