• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New owner of 1984 27' Albin in Eufaula/Huntsville, Alabama

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
HunterBaugh
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Eufaula, Alabama

New owner of 1984 27' Albin in Eufaula/Huntsville, Alabama

Post by HunterBaugh »

Hello, all. I recently found this forum and wanted to post on it. I have a 1984 Albin that was my grandfathers. When he passed it went to my uncle who did not use it for 4 years. I have now been given ownership of it but since it hasn't been used in 4 years there are bound to be several things wrong with it. I have spent the past few days cleaning all of the dirt and gunk off of it but have yet to attempt to look at the engine or the electrical work. I am wondering if there is a way to find any sort of online manual for the mechanical functions of the boat since the original is long gone. My goal is to get the boat back to its former self and be able to take it out on the water once again. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hunter Baugh
1984 A27
"Tortuga"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: New owner of 1984 27' Albin in Eufaula/Huntsville, Alabama

Post by DCatSea »

Hi Hunter
Welcome to the Albin forum. You have just acquired a really great older boat that will reward your TLC - economical to run, can "take it" in unfriendly weather, comfortable for extended trips, easy to look after, and most importantly, a decent fishing platform.
Cleaning off the gunk should expose some solid bones, and take it from one who came into a 1984 A27FC five years ago with little knowledge of this kind of thing, the electrical and mechanical stuff is not rocket science (no computers for a start).
Don't know what engine you have, but our old Peugeot/Lehman 4D61 diesel is still solid, starts right up and runs clean. Parts are a bit of a challenge, but you shouldn't have any problems with normal spares.
This forum is a mine of great information - look at the A25/A27 forum to meet people who know far more about it than I did (do). As a Subscribing Member you'll have access to the document library, which has nearly everything you'll need to bring your A27 into great running order. You'll find that AOG members are more than happy to share tips and ideas, so don't hesitate to ask.

Here are some pix of "Mazboot" after launch this year. (Five years of fun work later).

If you like working with your hands and buying tools you have a great boat to use them on.

Please let us know your hull #. It's part of the HIN on the top left (starboard) side of the transom.
IMG_5687.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5695.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Hunter, you have come by a good boat and it sounds like in a good way. We have an 86 27 FC that we spent five years an a good number of dollars rehabbing . At this point we feel the time effort an money we’re all well spent, you have the potential of have a great boat. We are current about 500 hundred miles from home in Biscayne Bay headed for the Dry Tortuga’s, the boat has preformed ever task ask of her. Life is truly good when it’s good, enjoy your new to you boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Welcome. We have a 28 so I will leave advice to the 27 owners. You have a great classic boat that should be pretty straightforward with accessibility to the engine and key maintenance areas. Now you just need information and elbow grease. Best wishes for a successful and affordable outcome.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Welcome Hunter, I see you're on the Chattahoochee River. That's a good cruising river if I remember correctly. We used to tube it when I was stationed at Ft Benning way back in '64 and '71. I'm on the Tennessee River system and love it! I think you'll find that your engine is almost bullet-proof, and after only 4 years of rest will fire right up if you just give it some clean fuel. I'd polish your fuel in the tank and give her a new filter, and see what happens. Be sure to check the oil and the cooling water first though. .Check your hoses and belt. If they're cracked, replace them. Looking forward to hearing how things go. Good luck! Ben
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Hunter, nice to see some enthusiastic young blood here. I see you're a student at UAH, my daughter is an under grad at UA Tuscaloosa and totally loving it. Welcome aboard and glad to see you have interest in the boat. Check all seacocks that they are serviceable before you splash her (and I don't mean on the morning of!). Another recommendation is to post a bunch of really good pictures of the engine, the engine room, etc etc. There are plenty of experts here regarding the A27 and all things boating.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “New Member Introductions”