• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin TE 300HP Yanmar Questions

saltyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Morehead City, NC

Albin TE 300HP Yanmar Questions

Post by saltyboats »

How do I find out if a Yanmar 6LP-STE has had valve seal replacements done to that engine. I have recently purchased a 28 TE and the serial number falls in the range of defective valve seal issues. I am the third owner on this 2001 28TE.

Saltyboats
North Carolina
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: 2001 Albin TE 300HP Yanmar

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Saltyboats, congrats on the new boat, 28 owners seem to really enjoy their boats. I’m guessing there are no mantaince records that came with the boat, would it be possible to contact former owners for information? Hopefully some of the Yanmar owners will have some positive imput. I guess all you can do for now is enjoy your boat.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

New exhaust seals are green in color.
Don.
Radioman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ft. Myers Beach, FL

Post by Radioman »

Don is correct
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Learn to use the Search function ---- in 10+years of posts and pictures there is not much that hasn't been covered..

Here's two hits:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3392&p=20133&hilit= ... eal#p20133

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9927&p=63290&hilit= ... eal#p63290
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
saltyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2001 Albin 28 TE 300HP Yanmar

Post by saltyboats »

I contacted Yanmar warranty department through Bowman and found that the engine in my 28TE has never been serviced with this valve guide recall. They advised the repair will be on me and they indicated the labor cost will be 9 to 12 hours. Does anyone know the parts cost? Do all valve guides need to be replaced or just a couple of cylinders? The people I spoke to on the phone did not have the parts cost at that time but indicated the parts are still available. Given the engine is 17 years old, will there be any exposure to the head when removed for additional repairs?

Wondering if new power would be an option but seeing estimates of a rebuilt 300 or 315 hp Yanmar falling into the $20k to $25k range. This id half the cost of this boat.

Thank you everyone for any more leads on this expensive repair.

Saltyboats
Morehead City, NC
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Saltyboats:
This is really not a big deal - had my 2001 6LP-STE done in 2013 (815hours) for about $2000. I say about because I had other work done at the time (timing belt replacement, exhaust riser inspection, etc.). The cost of the seal parts was approximately $250 and the replacement was done without head removal. Engine runs like new (still @ 1000hrs.).
Don.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Re: Albin TE 300HP Yanmar Questions

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

In 2009 I purchased a 1999 28TE which had 880 hours on the 6LP-STE. I did a lot of research on the engine and spoke with a Yanmar marine certified mechanic in San Francisco. The gest of what I learned is the valve issue only occurs when the engine is underworked by "Sunday bay cruisers". When the engine is taken to higher rpms (3000 plus) every time it is taken out, the mechanic said the valve issue rarely if ever occurs. My boat now has 2300 hours on the same, never opened engine (except timing belts). It has carried my crew and I from San Diego to Cabo and made two trips into the Sea of Cortez. It now sits on the Oregon coast and stills runs exceptionally well. Run it hard and enjoy it is my recommendation
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
saltyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltyboats »

The tachometer in my Yanmar 300 stopped working. How do I test to see if this is the tach gone bad or just the sending unit. Yanmar 300 hp model # 6 LP STE

Salty Boats
Albin 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

saltyboats wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:07 pm The tachometer in my Yanmar 300 stopped working. How do I test to see if this is the tach gone bad or just the sending unit. Yanmar 300 hp model # 6 LP STE

Salty Boats
Albin 28 TE
Plenty of search hits on this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2803&hilit=sender
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Radioman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ft. Myers Beach, FL

Post by Radioman »

Just because Yanmar doesn't have a record of valve seal replacement doesn't mean it hasn't been done. Remove the valve cover and look, or hire a qualified mechanic. You'll see the green marking on the seals if they've been replaced. Like Rob S said, lot's of information on this subject and many others on this site.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”