• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Turbo Boost Gauge installed

gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Turbo Boost Gauge installed

Post by gerber30 »

Installed a turbo boost gauge the other day. Nice unit from Seaboard Marine and an easy install. Exhaust temp gauge is next...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Re: Turbo Boost Gauge installed

Post by sweetwater »

Can you describe the install briefly? Id like to do the same.
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

The kit from Seaboard Marine included everything needed. Gauge, tubing and fittings. You will first need to determine where you need to take the boost reading from depaending upon your engine make. Usually there will be a plug there, you just remove the plug and install the fitting provided in your kit. Then run the plastic tubing from there to where you will mount the gauge. The tubing connects to the gauge, the power needed is to illuminate the gauge. I just tied into one of my existing gauges for the illumination power. Attached pics show recommendations for Cummins 6BTA from Seaboard and an actual photo of one of my engines with the fitting and tubing. One of the easier upgrades to do...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

gerber, good post, thanks!

Mike, the best spot to read boost on the 6LP will be to remove, drill and tap one of these plugs up near the air heaters. That is a much easier place to work than down at the combo block on the side of the engine where you would also have to get involved with metric vs. standard threads adapters or re-tapping.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Thanks folks! winter project:0 You guys have boost readings for a baseline, so you know what's good or bad?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

sweetwater wrote:Thanks folks! winter project:0 You guys have boost readings for a baseline, so you know what's good or bad?
Printed max spec is 2.2 kg/cm2 which google was kind enough to convert to 31.29 psi. Cruise boost would be in the mid-teens to mid-twenties.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

A very rough "rule of thumb" for boost is 1 psi per 10 horsepower meaning a 250 hp engine would make approx. 25 psi of boost.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Post by socalmike »

RobS wrote:gerber, good post, thanks!

Mike, the best spot to read boost on the 6LP will be to remove, drill and tap one of these plugs up near the air heaters. That is a much easier place to work than down at the combo block on the side of the engine where you would also have to get involved with metric vs. standard threads adapters or re-tapping.

Rob. Would that mean remove the bolt shown, drill and tap the bolt for the sensor to fit? Please elaborate. Thanks. Mike.
sailingzeus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Augustine, Fl

Post by sailingzeus »

Yanmar 6LPA spec is 24.94 psi maximum boost pressure, for those interested.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

What is the purpose of a turbo boost gauge on a small vessel like an Albin 28TE?
1) Help trouble shoot a problem?
2) Set power more accurately?
3) Early warning of a turbo going bad?

Just curious, I like gauges too but drilling and tapping into a perfectly good engine may not be my cup of tea.
Is a pyro gauge more or less useful than a turbo boost gauge?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

I also purchased the kit from Seaboard Marine only I preferred the combo gauge instead. Mounted it aft of shift lever fore of the trim tab controls.

For Boost Pressure I spliced into the turbo actuator line with a barbed tee.

For ETG Probe there is a plug at the base of the turbo that can be removed. Still have to tap the threads.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

elad9000 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:49 pm I also purchased the kit from Seaboard Marine only I preferred the combo gauge instead. Mounted it aft of shift lever fore of the trim tab controls.

For Boost Pressure I spliced into the turbo actuator line with a barbed tee.

For ETG Probe there is a plug at the base of the turbo that can be removed. Still have to tap the threads.
Nice, let me know how it works out?
(Is that you Greg? If not, there must be several Albin 28TE guys in Stuart)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Contacted Seaborne Marine about the dual gauge and asked about a pod installation? No such option. (I am out of real estate on the dash, pod only on top)
Searched Google for a 3” pod to mount the gauge, no cigar, 2” or 2-3/8” is available.
This came up on the search: Triple gauge with a pod, but my boat is not going to look like a souped up Mustang..
https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Pyrome ... way&sr=8-7

Will keep searching, boost and pyro in a combo gauge could be useful
for a nerd like me.. 8)
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Would also be interested to know how people use this. Obviously the EGT reading could be useful if it increases drastically, but for boost do you use that to find an efficient cruse?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I can't wait to move up to a real boat. You guys have way more stuff to fool around with.
WillieC: Normally aspirated, what's a turbo?, mechanical fuel injection, 36 HP (at least it was 45 years ago), one alternator, one battery (I threw in an extra one, just in case). And a bit over half a gallon per hour.

Actually, I do read all your stuff whether it pertains to the A25 or not because I learn something new almost every time. Thanks!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”