• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Long trips on a 28TE

Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Long trips on a 28TE

Post by Jmk2000 »

Hey all I’m dreaming of a 28TE, specifically one with an engine box. Seems a good balance of fit and function of size, fuel economy, and fish ability, and nice below accommodations. Has anyone ever done any long range cruising on one? I’d be interested to hear what your thoughts were. TIA
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Re: Long trips on a 28TE

Post by MerryKate »

Not sure what your definition of long range is, but early in her career my wife and I took trips two years in a row from Washington DC to Ocracoke NC (Outer Banks) in our motor box 28TE and lived on her for 2 weeks very comfortably. Later with 2 small children, we would cruise the lower Chesapeake Bay for a week or more. To us it was the ideal small cruiser. 17 kts cruise at 10 gal/hr and never once scared she could not handle the worst conditions we ever encountered. Plenty of room for us (not so much after kids were grown) but still going strong in her 23rd season.
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jmk2000 »

Trips like that is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone else done anything like this or any of the loops?
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Wife and I did the “Carolina loop” this June from Deale Md, about 400mi round trip. Do your homework and bring whatever you want! It took us 10 days and we were still talking to each other when we got home. That’s a win win in my book!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

When we had our 28 we would often do 10 to 14 day trips.

The longest south being 180 plus miles from Essex, MA to Essex CT to attend and AOG Rendezvous. That trip included Kingman Yacht Center in W. Falmouth, MA to Mystic Seaport and then Essex, CT. On the way back there were stops at Block Island and Cuttyhunk.

Heading north we traveled to Maine with stops at the Isle of Shoals, York harbor, Kennebunkport, Sebasco, Bath, Georgetown, a little gunkholing and Boothbay.

The Albin 28TE is the largest and most accomodating in its class.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

We too have done multiple one to two week trips from Lake Champlain to Cape Cod with stops in the Champlain canal, along the Hudson, NYC, both sides of the Sound and Falmouth. In fact we spent our 50th wedding anniversary “smelling the roses” with extended stays at selected marinas en route to Falmouth once.
Very comfortable for two and comforting the way she handled when we occasionally encountered sloppy seas. We’ve owned our 2001 engine box configuration for 16 years and love it. Don and Carol.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

By the way, over the years we have made modifications to the V-berth for a more comfortable night’s sleep. First we added a 3” memory foam topper, then later removed the table altogether, made slight side extensions to the area occupied by the table so we could into and out of the bed without having to do somersaults! It’s not perfect but way better when needing to take a potty break or two during the night. Don.
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jmk2000 »

carolmarie wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:45 pm By the way, over the years we have made modifications to the V-berth for a more comfortable night’s sleep. First we added a 3” memory foam topper, then later removed the table altogether, made slight side extensions to the area occupied by the table so we could into and out of the bed without having to do somersaults! It’s not perfect but way better when needing to take a potty break or two during the night. Don.
Carrol, any pics of your new configuration?

Thank everyone for the info. I think it’s the boat but I got awhile till I can get one!
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

We had 4” extension cushions made, secured with snaps under the cherry and Velcro under the main cushions. Very secure. The table can, of course, be reinstalled and there is plenty of room for your legs with the extensions in place. We like the openness of the cabin without the table so we just keep it on standby. The 3” top cushions essentially replicate the originals but add an additional level of comfort. We cut sheets and a bed spread to match and leave the overall setup in place most of the time. (Don’t have a photo handy to attach.) Don.
p.s. hope the attachments send.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Hope this photo sends this time. Don.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Here are the remainder of the photos showing cushion details, top cushion, and dressed up bedding showing ready for bed, space between for access and made up for under way running.
Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

here is my 1,600 mile trip from Castine Maine to Sarasota, FL diesel was $2.00 a gallon and we burned 800 gallons

http://sf260w.com/Trip2011/index.html
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jmk2000 »

carolmarie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:07 pm Here are the remainder of the photos showing cushion details, top cushion, and dressed up bedding showing ready for bed, space between for access and made up for under way running.
Don
That’s a fantastic idea and thank you for sharing your mod pics
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jmk2000 »

Dudley wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:33 pm here is my 1,600 mile trip from Castine Maine to Sarasota, FL diesel was $2.00 a gallon and we burned 800 gallons

http://sf260w.com/Trip2011/index.html
Dudley thanks for sharing it was an interesting read
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Just checked into the Albin blog after a month and saw your "Long Trips on a 28" subject.

My brothers and I have made two trips in my 28 to Mexico's Sea of Cortez on the Pacific side. The first was in 2011 when we piloted from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, a distance of roughly 800 miles with few fueling ports on the way. After laying over in Cabo until March of 2012, we took 3 months to go north through the Sea of Cortez, spending at one point 52 consecutive nights on the Terry Lee II. We had a water maker and mastered fuel and battery reserves to arrive at the Port of San Felipe at the north end of the Sea of Cortez in June. We hit dozens of the off shore islands crisscrossing the Sea a number of times. Hard to say what the distance covered was; probably another 800-900 miles. We pulled the boat out of the water in San Felipe and trailered it back to San Diego.

In 2015, we took the boat back to San Felipe and traveled down to the Bay of Conception; a distance of about 350 miles. We spent just over two months this trip seeing the balance of the islands we missed the first trip. Wonderful trips to be sure.

I re-posted my 2015 "Long Range Modifications...." post which includes pictures of the modifications we made which accommodated three people allowing us to stay away from civilization for up to a week. Best adventures of my life.

Boat is in dry dock in southern Oregon at the moment being prepped for 2020 trip of the full length of the Columbia River. Amazing boats these 28's!
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”