• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Tanks and Consumption Questions

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
GaryCrawford
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Deale, MD

Fuel Tanks and Consumption Questions

Post by GaryCrawford »

I apologize up front if there is already a thread about this, but I searched every term I thought was relevant and could not find anything. We purchased a '96 32 CB in August. She has the 315 Cummins engine, with dual 115 gallon fuel tanks. My questions, for anyone who happens to have the same configuration, are...

1) Does your boat list slightly to starboard when floating? I assume it is obviously due to placement of stuff (freshwater holding tank, wastewater holding tank, AC Unit, etc.).
2) Because of that, when you get on the boat, does the port fuel tank always have less fuel?

I was initially under the impression from the broker that the tanks were "independent" from each other. I now think they are connected, and gravity self-levels the tanks at rest (so if she is healing to starboard, more fuel goes into the starboard tank). The first time I filled up with fuel, I filled the starboard tank first and then had to fill the port tank when I was done. Yesterday, I filled the port tank first and when I was finished with the port tank, the starboard tank was already full.

Thanks for any insight.

Gary
Gary
'96 Albin 32 CB
Changing Latitudes
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Re: Fuel Tanks and Consumption Questions

Post by Sanatee »

Our 96 32+2 doesn't list. The fuel tanks are connected and water tanks are centerline. Our genset is port; A/C, holding and hot water tanks are starboard. Helm and salon seem to balance.
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
GaryCrawford
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Deale, MD

Post by GaryCrawford »

Thanks Mike for the response. Ours is an early 1996 32, so she is a 32-S, not a 32+2... Interestingly, the broker kept listing her as a 32+2 (because of the year) and all my sales paperwork says 32+2, even though I kept pointing out to him that our boat has the bolt on swim platform, not the integrated one. I think the difference may be that we have a boat that did not come from the factory with a built in gen set. I'm thinking that the weight of the generator probably offsets the other starboard side items and that Albin assumed that everyone would want a generator. Looked into adding one, but it is REALLY expensive and I just don't think we would need AC on the hook enough to justify (the inverter should handle small stuff).

We're planning a trip to Norfolk next year on the boat for vacation. If we overnight in Solomons on the way up or back, I'll let you know and maybe we can get together for a beverage.

Gary
Gary
'96 Albin 32 CB
Changing Latitudes
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Post by Sanatee »

The extra 2 feet of hull probably also help counter any list. Adult beverage sounds good!
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Post by Albinflorida »

There is a large cross over fuel hose between the tanks. Make sure the cutoff valves on each end are open
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
Eastwind
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina

Post by Eastwind »

We just purchased a 96 Albin 32 CB.. I never noticed any listing during the survey and on later inspections. We are coming from a Fisher 37 aft cabin so the Albin seemed noticeably more stable at the dock. The boat does have an impressive range due to the 2 relatively large fuel tanks and no doubt if they don't drain together then given their location they would introduce a list. I would not think that the generator location would make much if any difference. I plan to visit the boat in January and acquaint myself with the Cummins 6BT5.9A diesel. The engine access seemed OK to me but compared to some sailboat engines I suppose I would think that. Interestingly this is one boat I bought for the manufacturer and condition not necessarily the year from initial impressions this is is a very well built boat. Just joined the group so no doubt will have some questions.
hulamoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matawan Creek, New Jersey

Post by hulamoon »

Hi Gary,

We run a 1989 32' Sportfisher and I had the exact same issue for the first couple of seasons. I suspected that it was the two heavy 8D batteries located far starboard under the aft berth. 300 lb of lead ballast placed under the port access hatch just forward of the cabin companionway steps (far port) corrected not only the list and fuel level issues but allowed me to run with less trim tab resulting in an extra knot of cruising speed. Hope this information helps.

Steve S.
Hulamoon
Tdelaney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mattapoiset

Post by Tdelaney »

Gary
I have a 92 sport fish and do not have the leveling hose. I change my valve configuration to draw from one or the other and to occasionally to balance the load but even being up to half a tank off, never had a listing issue.
Tom
Agave Azul
Tom Delaney
1992 32 Sportfish
Agave Azul
Mattapoisett Ma

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”