• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electronics set up?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Sixtfour
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buzzards Bay

Electronics set up?

Post by Sixtfour »

Here’s is a picture of my current helm. The Garmin 741 is 2 years old, it also has 18hd radar and a thru Hull transducer. I will be adding a new vhf with AIS and 8’ antenna and plan on keeping the 741.

My last boat has a 10” screen right on the dash. I am looking for options/opinions on what to do? There is no room on the dash and I don’t think I want to mount a fixed unit next to the compass

I was thinking about just adding an iPad with active captain and a vision card. Has anyone used the iPad/active captain?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28T 300HP Yanmar
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Electronics set up?

Post by Norseman »

I mounted a 10” Garmin on top of the dash.
Good solution, no hindrance to sight or visibility forward and the charts and info are right in front of your face.
C6D553A3-5098-427A-8C98-D23C801E12F5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Not sure if Garmin has something similar to what Simrad does? - my Simrad mirrors to my IPAD (and Phone) over wifi - giving me a 2nd (and 3rd) functional plotter
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My 28TE has the fiberglass shell mounted to the ceiling. I think that under way on plane the bow is still up and anything on the top of the dash looked like it would block my vision. If I was standing my vision would be blocked. However sitting it's fine. I see that harbor mode it would not block as the bow is down and my line of sight would be above any mfd. The picture makes it look huge based on the angle however it's not. The shell was on the boat when I purchased her and it had a Furuno in it.
Simrad.JPG
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

My 28 TE has the same shell arrangement as Mike’s. I have a 12” Simrad MFD, Simrad AP and a remote search light controller mounted in it; no visibility issues. Don.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

I do not have a chart plotter/MFD and will be cruising the ICW, Great Loop, Bahamas, etc. leaving tomorrow. I use an Android tablet running both Navionics and Aquamap. They both display ActiveCaptain Community data. Aquamap also Waterway Guide data and USACE chart overlays. Navionics offers dock-to-dock auto routing, AIS and sonar charts. An iPad would be just as good if not better.

I also have a laptop running OpenCPN for a 'birds-eye" view and it's connected to my AIS transceiver/receiver (Vesper XB-8000).
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Sixtfour
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buzzards Bay

Post by Sixtfour »

Thanks for the info, so many options...
2001 28T 300HP Yanmar
Larry cessna
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rock Hall MD

Post by Larry cessna »

What size and model simrad do you both have. I have the same over head bow and want to put in a new GPS Fish finder.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

NSS12
222B9E1B-C23B-49A6-896D-0CFFEA12A45A.jpeg
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Garmin 741xs & Standard Horizon GX2200 Matrix VHF/GPS/AIS mounted side by side on the dash. This case the AIS output from the VHF is linked to the chartplotter via NMEA 0183. The chartplotter is a combo that can display speed, heading, depth, and position in the corners of the screen, or show fishfinder graphical display full screen or half screen shared with chart display. All touch screen functioning. In operation on our boat since late 2017.
DSCN4382 (1280x960).jpg
One of my favorite features of the A25 is the built in chart table at the helm. Allows laying out chart atlases or regular folded charts right there at the helm.
DSCN4339 (1280x960).jpg
Don't have Apple iPad or Active Captain. But I don't know some folks that use Active Captain & love it.

In case you're wondering, these pics were shot while heading up Toba Inlet in Desolation Sound, BC in 2018.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Makai
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol RI

Post by Makai »

I built a complete new helm and had custom faceplates made for the stock gauges This reduced the space needed and I was able to gain enough space for a 12 “ screen and all the stock gauges with plenty of room for additional electronics This is a 31 TE but the faceplate change will gain you some space.
Makai
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Makai »

I built a complete new helm and had custom faceplates made for the stock gauges This reduced the space needed and I was able to gain enough space for a 12 “ screen and all the stock gauges with plenty of room for additional electronics This is a 31 TE but the faceplate change will gain you some space.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

That looks fantastic!!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Here is my new dash. It was a fun project for sure. The Albin logo is backlit with fiber optics. :wink:
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Makai
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Makai »

Mike
Very nice looking dash, my project this year is to replace all of the switches, on my 31 they are on the bulkhead.

Return to “Electronics”