• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A half-week in Central Puget Sound

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

A half-week in Central Puget Sound

Post by Mariner »

In contrast to our grey (but still beautiful) winters, we usually have some very spectacular summers. This series of pictures was taken in July of this year:

First off, this was our route. Or at least a detail of where we spent the bulk of our time. Starting in the bottom right, we cruised up from Tacoma (well south of the map) to downtown Seattle. Then across the water to Bainbridge Island, then across again to the ship canal, through the locks and into the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle, then across again to Manzanita Bay, then up to Poulsbo, and then south again to Tacoma.

Starting at Bell Harbor in Seattle we awoke to the sound of a Cruise ship arriving to swap passengers for an Alaska cruise.

The boat against the Seattle skyline. The new Washington Mutual Headquarters is seen most prominently to the right.

Nordvika and the Whaler

From left to right, Qwest Field, Safeco Field, and Mt. Rainier, home of, respectively, the Seahawks, the Mariners, and about 400 full and part time National Parks employees.

More of the cruise ship

A better picture of the Seattle skyline

A Candian Goose looking for handouts in Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island

My girlfriend, competently piloting the Whaler, but perturbed by my insistence that we stop to take pictures.

Seattle from across Admiralty Inlet

The Olympic mountains with Eagle Harbor and the headquarters of the Washington State Ferries in the foreground.

Heading north to Shilshole, one of the many State Ferries passes to our stern

Dingies, crab-pots, and kayaks are all necessary accessories.

Entering the Ballard locks

Thankfully my first experience "locking through" is in the "small" lock, which is much more forgiving.

You are a tourist attraction. Hundreds of people watch your every move with amazement and most are incredibly envious.

The doors close and you feel as though you're in the bottom of a well, not a waterway.

No kidding!

There is literally no room to spare in the small lock.

The slow creep up continues

The spectators get closer

And the next thing you know, you're face to face

With the show over, the spectators leave. I wonder if this is how stars feel after the crowd files out.

The University Bridge connecting Capitol Hill with the University of Washington, over the University Cut, connecting Portgage Bay with Lake Washington.

The Retriver, which appeared in the first season of Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch.

The Wizard, which appeared last season

Famous Fisherman's Terminal. We stayed here alongside the local fishing fleet. Again, we felt like a tourist attraction as people walked the dock, hoping to find authentic "men of the sea". I guess.

Locking down through the big lock. That's me tending the line.

Anchored in Manzanita Bay on Bainbridge Island

Again, the Olympic Mountains

A sailboat anchored nearby

A Coast Guard Safeboat patrolling the perimeter of the Keyport Installation at US Navy Base Kitsap. This is where they build, maintain, and test torpedos for submarines based at nearby Subase Bangor.

Liberty Bay. The town of Poulsbo (Paul's Bo) does it's Independence Day fireworks on July 3rd to avoid competing with nearby Seattle and Tacoma's top notch shows. Guess what day we're there.

The flags go up!

Downtown Poulsbo. There is a heavy Norweigan influence here. But try as I might, I am unable to locate anyone selling Norweigan beer.

Heading home for the 4th of July festivities in Tacoma.

Whaler in tow

One last time, the Olympics
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Sorry it took awhile to reply to this post.

Great pictures. Great narration. The water seemed to be calm for your whole trip!
How fast (or slow) do the locks fill? Do you have to untie the lines and move them up or does that cleat move up with you?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

jcollins wrote:Sorry it took awhile to reply to this post.

Great pictures. Great narration. The water seemed to be calm for your whole trip!
How fast (or slow) do the locks fill? Do you have to untie the lines and move them up or does that cleat move up with you?
Yes, we were fortunate to have great weather for the whole trip. It was probably the best five days of the whole year, actually. The locks fill in about 15 minutes, but of course loading takes a lot longer. I figure it's about 45-60 minutes for the whole process, though it can be much longer if there is a lot of traffic.

There are two locks; large and small. In the small lock, used primarily for recreational craft the cleats float up and down with the water. In the large lock, used for larger commercial vessels and pleasure craft on high-volume days, the boats tied along the wall, must manually tend their lines. You are not supposed to tie them off, just put one wrap around the cleat and pay it out or pull it in as necessary.
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by Mike »

Great pics, looks like a great trip- different than our bay boating
Time Out Annapolis

Return to “Cruising”