Gold Member

Home Port: Baltimore

Looks lonely.
John
28 TE Convertible "Afterglow"

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:06 pm

John,
This is Imagination.
This photo was taken when I repainted the bottom last summer and yes (Looks lonely) you are right I could not wait to put her back in the water.
She has a galley up that makes a forward cabin that is very nice and no cooking in your sleeping space. We have owned her for three years and like her more and more each day.
Rich and Karen Lee

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:55 pm
Veebyes2 Gold Member
Gold Member

Home Port: Bermuda

Interesting. First time I've seen the underbody of one. Went through one at the NY boatshow 1988, a dark blue hull. A very practical boat with a look all its own. A great pocket trawler. Too bad they were not very succesful for Albin. Too much of a practical European look that North America still is not ready for.

We had a 27AC for 13 years. Another great if unusual looking boat.

The 34 hull morphed into the 32 Family Fisherman which has been stretched into the 35 Command Bridge today. I wonder what the handling differences are? The 32 (32+2) has a full keel. No strut. If you go 'bump' into something lightly, no damage. The full keel also seems to make the boat sluggish around docks. I can't throw my Albin 32 around like I do my 32 Evans deadrise which has a keelform & strutted prop which resembles the 34 more than the 32+2 style keel.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:39 pm
StockHR User avatar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

R. D. Check out the picture of MaryGrace. She is another 34 and we love her. I'm glad to see another 34 on the forum. Mike

williamschuetz

My wife and I own an Alberg 30 in San Francisco, and have decided to buy a small power cruiser to live on and cruise the ICW, etc. We like what we have read about the Albin 34 aft cabin, but have some unanswered questions.
1) Apparently, it was built in at least the late 1980's, with and without the flybridge, always on a semi-displacement hull.
a) When exactly was it built?
b) Are the two versions the same except for the flybridge?
c) Was the same hull always used?
2) Apparently, it was always offered with a Cummins 210hp diesel engine. What fuel does it consume and at what RPM and knots at
a) hull speed?
b) semi-displacement cruise speed?
c) top speed?
3) I do not understand the pilothouse roof extension (or flybridge deck) over the aft cabin, and the canvas below it. It seems that the version with a flybridge has a solid aft window to the pilothouse, but the version without a flybridge may have only a canvas-plexiglass window farther aft.
a) Please explain this.
b) Are there versions with no roof extension (or flybridge deck) above the aft cabin?

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:05 am
Veebyes2 Gold Member
Gold Member

The 34 was another of Albins great practical yet unpretentious boats which was a marketing failure. This was a shame. It would be very much at home on European waters where the basic layout is common but could not sell in the bigger is better, faster is better, more hp is better, glitz over substance, market of the US.

They were only in production in the late 80s. There was also a full hardtop 'motoryacht' version built. I saw that one at the 1988 NY Boat Show. I have also seen a few open center cockpit versions which look a bit like the old 27 Family Cruiser on steroids.

The hull, with some modification, went on to become the much more successful 32+2. I have a 1996 version of the 32. Most of the time I cruise at about hull speed though the boat is capable of 18kts loaded with its 315hp Cummins (same 5.9L block as the 210hp). My gph average is 3ga, with the spurts of high speed running. My estimate is that the 34 will average 2-2.5gph at 8kts or so.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 am
jcollins User avatar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Home Port: Baltimore

William,
Others with more experience than I will chime in here. I just wanted to welcome you to the board.

Welcome!
John
28 TE Convertible "Afterglow"

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:48 am
williamschuetz

Thanks, Veebyes2 (and John). All the reasons you give are what my wife and I like about the Albin 34: smaller, limited brightwork, enough speed for now and then, an easily accessed and reliable single diesel, etc. We even like the looks. We would be pleased if she would cruise at 8 knots burning 2-2.5 gph. As for size, each year we cruise for a month or more on our Alberg 30 and another 2.5 months on our bicycles, camping out. We were invited aboard someone's Bayliner 3288 last summer and liked the arrangement. It was big enough, but I would prefer a single engine and may trust Albin design and construction more. I failed to ask what the Albin 34 draws. I believe it is 42", but have seen 48" mentioned. Maybe, from what you say, I should check the Albin 32+2's draft. Also, you mentioned you saw a full hardtop motoryacht in 1988. How would it differ from the two versions I have mentioned (one with a flybrdge [like RD's], and one without a flybridge and only a plexiglass aft window far abaft the pilothouse)?

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:24 am
williamschuetz

Veebyes2,

Since my last post, I have seen the photo of Mike's MaryGrace, and now understand what you mean by an Albin 34 Motoryacht, where the bridge and bridgedeck are not separate, and there are hard sides and windows above the aft cabin.

I have also seen your 32+2 anchored in a 60 knot blow. Impressive. I have ground tackle to handle that with my Alberg 30, but the strongest wind we have anchored in is 35-40 knots. We were on her at the time.

William

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:19 pm
Bryan3536

Alright, maybe I'm getting warmer. This might just be the "right" thread for me to ask this question:

I'm new to this group, but have posted on the "other" group before. My father and I have been in the market for an Albin 27' for the last few months. We've been looking at both the FC and SC models, because we're torn between having two cabins (for kids and overnights) and having more space to entertain on deck.

During the course of our search, we've come across an Albin 34' which appears to be the big brother to the Albin 27' FC - two cabins, hard top, open cockpit in between, no fly bridge (not to be confused with the other Albin 34's out there, that are more traditional trawlers with a fly bridge). Seems to have been built in the mid-80's, single screw 210 Cummins. I've attached a picture of the one we're looking at (and yes, it needs work).

This is bigger than we were looking at, but we're looking into this model because it seems to give us the best of both worlds - larger deck space, two cabins, with a no fly bridge, lower profile.

There is precious little information on this particular model, and I was wondering if anyone in the group had one? Has anyone seen one in person? Thoughts, comments, pictures? I'd love to hear their impressions of the vessel, performance, utility, and to see some pictures of it in "good" shape. Do any of our Albin historians have an old catalog with the specs of this model that they can email me?

Many thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:59 pm
Veebyes2 Gold Member
Gold Member

I used to have a brochure around here for the 34. Seen a few in the water. Been on one at the 1988 NY boat show.

It is an ugly duckling to many but a swan to those who appreciate a very practical boat.

One of our members here had one for sale last year. It was located near Norfolk, VA i think. Don't know if he sold it.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:15 am
DougSea User avatar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Home Port: Norwalk Cove Marina, East Norwalk, CT
Bryan,

Try sending a PM to R. D. Pukal, the owner of the 34 pictured above. I haven't seen him posting but he'll get a notification that a PM has been sent and might respond. Good luck.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:50 pm

This is Rich Pukal
I did not receive any pm. My email address is rdpukal@verizon.net.
I will look in my profile to see if the setting for me to get pm are on?
I an sorry for not having been able to respond.
Rich

Return to Pictures