• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MD17c

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Salto1975
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Comox BC

MD17c

Post by Salto1975 »

Hi all
I have a 1975 Volvo Md17c in my albin. I plan on taking out the injectors and service them. I realize I may need new sleeves and o rings. Are all the injector sleeves the same for all 4 Md17c models. Any idea of a part number . Many thanks.
Saltö hull 2448
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: MD17c

Post by WillieC »

You may get lucky. I have had the injectors out of my 3B and the 17C a few times now with no issues. Getting them out the first time was a chore. Spray your favorite de-rust juice and let it soak over night and do it again. Find the right size open end wrench and gently try to spin them, back and forth and soon enough they'll come out.

Not sure of the part number, have you familiarized yourself with the schematics that are available online from the Volvo Penta Store? I think you will also need the installation tool.

Check this page.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Cylinder ... _id.771775

It looks like they are available, just need to pay the dealer's rent.

Let's hope you can get them out. I pressure tested my heads' water passages to 35 -40 PSI and found no issues so I put it all back together. Be positive! I also lubed them up well with anti-sieze before reinstalling the injectors (after a fresh prime and VP green paint)

Keep me posted! There aren't many of us left.
Salto1975
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Salto1975 »

Thanks. I am in Canada so unfortunately can not access the store. The European Volvo site looks like only one injector type so I may order new ones from Sweden and keep my fingers crossed as I do not want to loose a season looking for parts. I will keep running it until I find what I think in need then will take it all apart. It still runs great. Refurbished injectors will just add to longevity
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

You can try to loosen an injector to see how it goes. The worst of that is that you will have to re-bleed the fuel system. You are in Comox, surely there is a good diesel shop that can turn your injectors around quickly. You may want new copper washers, but I re-use mine. I heat them up nice and hot with a propane (Mapp gas) torch then re-install. Note that there is no washer for the injector itself. It is UNDER the sleeve. Just a dab of anti-sieze smeared around the injector and then torque the holders.

A little daunting the first time, but not that big a deal.
Salto1975
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Salto1975 »

Thanks. I was gifted some injectors so once I find the sleeves I will give it a go. Then on to finding a working tach gauge
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

re:working tach gauge. Electric or mechanical? I have a spare mechanically driven tach that came with a used AD21 motor I had purchased. It worked when tested with a drill.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “Albin Maintenance”