• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Intermittent solenoid clicking 6lpstze

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Oakdale

Intermittent solenoid clicking 6lpstze

Post by trueworldmarine »

Been having problems with starter on my Yanmar from the beginning of the boating season. First off the starter had seized I had it rebuilt by reputable shop next issue stopped working corroded starting wire. Checked batteries load test passed I cleaned up the original solenoid and went with it. Boat worked fine all day issue arose at end of day when I went to restart engine solenoid started clicking again would not start played with ignition key started up again. Returned to port shut it down restarted it again turned over no issue. Unable to pin point problem anyone have any ideas.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Intermittent solenoid clicking 6lpstze

Post by Norseman »

Clicking noise from the Yanmar start relay wired in at the forward end of the engine, OR a clicking sound from the starter motor?

I had the tranny neutral switch block me from starting the engine.
Found a new one on eBay, problem solved.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

I do believe it's the solenoid switch it's the original and where is the tranny neutral switch and can it be tested?
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

trueworldmarine wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:22 am I do believe it's the solenoid switch it's the original and where is the tranny neutral switch and can it be tested?
The starter solenoid is independent from the starter, it is wired into a wire harness in front of the engine. $50 from Yanmar, I carry a spare one.
I also have a spare starter for longer trips.

The neutral switch is on top of the tranny very accessible on the engine box models. Look for 2 wires going to a screw-in "button" and you found.
Easy to override to test.
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

My neutral switch is in the shift lever control box Its a $25 item but need to disable shift cams to get to it and then re-grease fittings. I found a after market starter on Amazon for $142 which will be kept as a spare. Colder weather is closing in and I will need to have the boat shrink wrapped next week. Thank you for the advise and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

trueworldmarine wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:52 am My neutral switch is in the shift lever control box Its a $25 item but need to disable shift cams to get to it and then re-grease fittings. I found a after market starter on Amazon for $142 which will be kept as a spare. Colder weather is closing in and I will need to have the boat shrink wrapped next week. Thank you for the advise and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
I also have a neutral switch on the throttle/shifter box next to the helm.
(But it was never hooked up)
On top of the transmission is the primary neutral switch, which looks like this:
9DB706A6-17E5-49BA-AC16-8598B7AF9E38.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”