• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacing Peninsular Engine Water Pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Replacing Peninsular Engine Water Pump

Post by Froggy »

I was checking the fluids in my 1993 28 TE with Peninsular diesel after the winter and found the coolant was down. After a bit of sleuthing it turned out to be the engine water pump. Apparently, the seal gave out. I'm ordering new parts from Peninsular. Has anyone replaced theirs and have recommendations on the process? It looks to be tight quarters but doable.

Thanks.

Carl
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Replacing Peninsular Engine Water Pump

Post by DougSea »

Sorry but I can't help on this one - did a bunch of work on ours but no water pump. Can you post a few pics? Maybe someone will chime in.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Well, this job isn't for the faint of heart. My water pump seal was leaking so I dove in. Little did I know that you have to take the entire front of the engine off to get to the pump as it is bolted on not just by five bolts facing out but six internal bolts. Forunately, it was a dreary Sunday and, with a bit of patience, I got it apart. Now waiting for parts.
IMG_5322.jpg
IMG_5323.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Ahh! Don't you just love it when you have to do that! :wink:

At least it gives you a chance to clean up stuff you usually can't get to. You wouldn't believe how much I did when the starboard engine was out! :D

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Kudos - Way to jump right in there Carl. Yesterday you did that? - well Happy Mother's Day!
Looks like an opportune time for some PM on that raw water pump. I never realized those engines had a belt driven pump. Although a belt can wear,break, etc a belt driven setup with properly aligned pulleys and proper adjustment probably has more pros than cons over gear driven pumps. I've never serviced one on that engine but boy does that pump location look like too much fun when all is together..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hi Rob,

All in all not a project for the faint of heart. Yes, I took out the raw water pump and installed a new impeller. I've done it when I've been twisted like a pretzel in the lazarette but a bit easier from above.

This project took quite a while as I couldn't believe the pump is held by bolts on the outside as well as inside the aluminum spacer. Once I wrapped my small brain around that situation I had to come to terms with removal of the entire heat exchanger and the spacer. Time, patience, a couple dropped items in the bilge, etc. Yes, it is imperative to use to use the high output pump from Peninsular. It takes a couple weeks to get them so plan ahead.

Once together I patted myself on the provberbial back. Not so fast! Once I put in antifreeze I could see leaks from the clamps on several hoses and, of course, once together the hose clamps are really difficult to access. More time, more patience.

If anyone decides they wish to tackle the water pump on theirs, send me a note and I'll give you a more detailed step by step.

Images are inside of old pump, outside of old pump, inside of spacer, installed pump.

IMG_5365.jpg
IMG_5366.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
verit
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Millers Island, MD

Post by verit »

Thanks for the great information. I am having a similar problem with my 28TE and have a few questions:
1. Did you get new seals for both the water pump and timing casing or did you use RTV silicone?
2. Is the water pump seal a service-able part or did you need to replace the whole pump?
3. Would you share your step by step process as indicated in your last post?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
DougA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Noyo Harbor Fort Bragg, CA

Post by DougA »

PXL_20220817_231041877.jpg
Well, about 6 years since the last post, I plan to replace the leaky coolant pump in our '96 28TE. It has a 2014 6.5 full replacement Peninsular engine. Runs great, but the leak is disappointing after only 500 hours. Wondering if Peninsular bought a batch of short-lived pumps...
Doug A.
96 28TE "Chinook"
Fort Bragg CA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”