• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Coolant Drain Plugs to Yanmar 6LP-STP

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Cdavidon
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis

Coolant Drain Plugs to Yanmar 6LP-STP

Post by Cdavidon »

Hey Everyone! So today, I attempted draining all the coolant; however, I was unsuccessful after only draining 1.5 gallons from the port side drain plug. Nothing came out of the STBD side (BTW, the plug was a little clogged, so I removed the whole bolt/drain nipple - still, nothing came out). After looking at the manual, the raw water plug (#5) and freshwater plug (#3) seem to be the same drain... is this correct (I.e., should be two different systems)? I assume there is a manufacturing issue with the design in my attached picture pulled directly from the manual.

Can anyone help me locate the second drain plug so that I may remove all coolant from my engine? Many thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Coolant Drain Plugs to Yanmar 6LP-STP

Post by Norseman »

2 different systems.
It can take a long time, couple of hours. Once it seems empty I keep pouring
distilled water in the system to dilute and drain out all the old coolant.
When it comes out clear I close the valves and pour in new the new
50/50 orange coolant and distilled water. (Or reverse osmosis filtered water)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Coolant Drain Plugs to Yanmar 6LP-STP

Post by rhutch98 »

The way I change out my coolant fluid is to use a manual vacuum pump, the same one I use to remove oil, and suck it out via the attached clear tubes (mine were long gone so I made new ones). It speeds things up and prevents a mess.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”