• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

"Chapel" Bimini Design - A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

"Chapel" Bimini Design - A25

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Looking to get new canvas for our new boat and have seen a few photos of a shorter Bimini that leaves the deck of the aft cabin almost totally exposed. It appears to be what might have been "original" to the A25, the single bow frame attaching toward the base of the cockpit and pivoting back toward the aft cabin.

Can anyone share their thoughts and/or photos of what they have done like this?

Thanks.
Last edited by cmoffatnc1 on Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: "Chapel" Bimini Design - A25

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Something like this photo which I f
fb77077f9bfacde41e5ea77d3099e3f2.jpeg
ound on line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

That's very good-looking.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

What you’re looking for is how my canvas is. A single bow and aft cabin exposed. Does your current canvas cover the aft cabin? If so why do you dislike it? I’m wondering as I would like to get a canvas that covers the aft cabin roof at some point as that creates a shelf on the inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Here are a couple of photos of the the cover that came with my boat. I find it very convenient with the additional head room. Not the modified strut that provides a clear entry into the cockpit from the dock. All windows conveniently zip out leaving the bimini in place during hot weather. It also came with screens that replace the two rear side window panels if insects are a problem. Hope you find these ideas helpful.
Aft.jpeg
Starboard Side.jpeg
Albin25.jpeg
Hull No. 1013, 1971
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Very helpful and very appreciated!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Here's a few more:

On La Dolce Vita, as inherited from previous owners. Not the actual original OEM but apparently a later copy close to or same as factory original. Single bow frame, no side openings, small vinyl rear window. This was taken shortly after we took ownership in March, 2014
Cove 003 RFS (640x480).jpg
Another photo by previous owner at his place in Idaho that he used in his Craigslist ad.
Albin 1.jpg
It wasn't long before Arizona desert heat and UV rays fried the vinyl in the rear window panel, plus lack of side openings hampered rear visibility. So I decided to make a new one of similar but modified design with opening side flaps, sun screen sewn in, and clear vinyl side & rear windows that can be Velcroed in for cold weather or removed for hot weather. I kept the original sloped rear design due to the fact that we also have the optional motor sailer mast & sail rig.

First thing I found and purchased this used Thompson Mini Walker walking foot sewing machine. It's the same design as Sailrite machines which themselves are a Thompson clone. Except mine only does straight stich & can't do zig zag stitch that would be needed for sail repairs.
00e0e_6PkOzXOfeKv_600x450.jpg
Next I consulted how to videos on the Sailrite.com website and purchased Sunbrella fabric, UV resistant PTFE thread, and various other supplies. Sailrite's library of how to project videos is an invaluable resource for DIY canvas projects.

I started faced with this situation. I had made the mistake of covering the enclosure with a canvas tarp to help protect it from brutal Arizona summer heat (even this week in late August we're facing temps as high as 114 deg). Problem was the canvas tarp was oil infused and stained the Sunbrella.
DSCN2042.JPG
So I copied the existing design but widened the rear window and incorporated flaps that could cover the window or be rolled up.

This is a side view of the old existing enclosure. Only way to have complete rear visibility was to fold the entire enclosure up against the wheelhouse.
DSCN2050.JPG
This is a side view of the new enclosure with sides rolled up. The front edge uses the existing twist snaps and the rear edge is zippered.
DSCN2106.JPG
This is with the side rolled down but with the outer flap rolled up. The black Phifertex (R) sun/bug screen is sewn in and not removable.
DSCN2100.JPG

And this is with everything rolled down. Outer flaps keeps the sun out & give total privacy. Same for rear window opening, which was widened to the maximum possible width. In this photo I had not yet a added narrow cover flaps over the zippers.
DSCN2099.JPG
The only downside to the sloped rear is that it lets rain in unless you close the rear flap or Velcro in the vinyl windows. If you want a perpendicular rear window it would take a two bow frame. The only other downside to the single bow frame is that you have to enter/exit over the aft cabin top.
Here's what it looks like with the sail rig installed. (Click on photo to rotate 90 deg)
20180621_191950.jpg
To do all this I turned my kitchen into a sewing loft by added folding tables to our dining table. Actually all the initial sewing was done with a borrowed Sailrite machine. But I had trouble getting it to work with PTFE thread and had to use supposedly UV resistant polyester. Since then I've had to re-stitch most of the seams with PTFE using my Thompson machine which for some reason handles PTFE better. The summers out here are just brutal on anything other than Helios PTFE thread which is very expensive compared to polyester.
20150330_101417_resized (4).jpg
DSCN2090.JPG
0330151612.jpg
All this was done in 2015 and has held up well in the eight years since other than having to re-stitch seams with PTFE thread. Total cost in materials for the project was right around $900, not counting the $325 spent to purchase the Thompson sewing machine.

That said, if your boat does not have the sail rig option I would go for a full length "BC" hard top like "WillieC" had.

IMG_1579.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

As a side note…I REALLY like the bow rails on WillieC had. Way better styling that the original bow rails. Much more American looking. It’s in the plans for mine.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”