• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LP water pump & impeller sourcing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Barbados

Yanmar 6LP water pump & impeller sourcing

Post by gcmarshall »

Hi all -

I normally used the SMX impellers from Tony Athens, but he does not appear to carry them anymore for the 6LPs, so I bought a couple generic ones off of Ebay. Normally I change impellers annually and there is not much wear or damage (with the SMX ones) but my engine overheated yesterday and when we checked the impeller, all but one blade was gone (after 9 months of use)

Is there a good source for high quality OEM impellers for the yanmar 6LP? (119773-42600 -> YAN-119773-42640)

Also, am considering buying a new sea water pump. I researched a bit, and it seems like Johnson makes the waterpump for Yanmar (yanmar 119773-42500; Johnson 10-24493), but I'm sure if this pump is still available, as I read on one of the sites that the yanmar pump was no longer produced (which doesn't quite make sense to me, if the 6LP engine is still being produced). I also do see JMP aftermarket version JPR-YM06LPA.

This JMP version looks like the main option, but just wondered if anyone had real world experience with it.

Gary
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Re: Yanmar 6LP water pump & impeller sourcing

Post by gmberkley »

Gary,
I have a 6LPA-STP Yanmar..........this spring I replace the water pump and impellor with Yanmar parts. FYI, my engine ran at a constant 180 degrees since I purchased it almost 3 years ago, since the replacement, it runs at 165 degrees. I also flushed the coolant and place new coolant, but I attribute the drop in running temp due to an new water pump.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Thanks - good to know! Did you get the parts online or at a local dealer?
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Replaced mine a few years ago with the Johnson Pump (Johnson 10-24493-01, 10-24493-02 with inlet/outlet). Can't find the receipt, but I know I just ordered online, from Pumps Direct, Pump Vendor, or similar site. The JMP pumps do seem easier to find

Johnson pump / Yanmar impeller kits (JS 09-812B-1, YM-119773-42640)
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Scratch that, found the box and I had actually bought the Yanmar pump assembly (still made by Johnson Pump). It did not come with the drive gear, so I reused the old one.
https://www.pumpvendor.com/Yanmar_119773-42652.html
https://discountmarinesource.com/store/ ... t_id=94764
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

GSSeattle wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:59 pm Scratch that, found the box and I had actually bought the Yanmar pump assembly (still made by Johnson Pump). It did not come with the drive gear, so I reused the old one.
https://www.pumpvendor.com/Yanmar_119773-42652.html
https://discountmarinesource.com/store/ ... t_id=94764
Thanks! Surprisingly, the yanmar branded pump seems quite reasonable. Almost makes me suspicious. :D
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Ended up ordering a JMP pump from Big Blue Ocean Marine. Was a bit more expensive at $580 but the international shipping cost was reasonable, and they had spare impellers in stock (which other sites didn't). The JMP pump also included the gear which the Johnson/Yanmar pump didn't seem to.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

Gary,
Niemiec Marine who replaced my pump and impellor are Yanmar dealers, they have all the parts in stock, and, lucky enough, they have worked on many Albins also, in fact one was in their yard when they worked on mine, the engine was removed and a new oil pan installed I was told.
Fairhaven, MA
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

gmberkley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:57 am Gary,
Niemiec Marine who replaced my pump and impellor are Yanmar dealers, they have all the parts in stock, and, lucky enough, they have worked on many Albins also, in fact one was in their yard when they worked on mine, the engine was removed and a new oil pan installed I was told.
Nice to have them close to you!
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

I can, and have walked to their shop from the marina where I keep the boat....................
Fairhaven, MA
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Just for reference. The pumps are easy to rebuild. It’s just two bearings and two shaft seals. Just be sure you use stainless springs in the seals as they come with steel as standard. I rebuild mine when they eventually fail. It’s easy to do but then I do own a factory with all the necessary equipment but any machine shop should be able to rebuild one for you.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”