• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1987 Albin 36 Pre Survey Questions

psub101
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Tarpin Springs, Florida

1987 Albin 36 Pre Survey Questions

Post by psub101 »

Hello all, New member here.
I have a1987 Albin 36 under contract and I am preparing for the survey/sea trial.
I was hoping to get some input regarding known issues that I should be looking out for during the survey.
I believe I have read this era of construction has a hull that has a balsa core. I’m also wondering if this era has fuel tank leak issues?
Thanks in advance!
Sebby
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Glasson Basin Marina

Re: 1987 Albin 36 Pre Survey Questions

Post by Sebby »

Hi there, I can help because I have rebuilt a 1983 Classic 36. The big jobs to look out for are the struts and beams that have been enclosed in fibreglass. I discovered a lot of soft wood. Also, the fuel tanks will be rotting through. Check also for soft decks as they are cored. The scuppers are a disaster. Cheap plastic inserts that drip into the boat and cause more rot. I had bronze ones made up and glassed into the hull. I also had to replace wood under the galley, because the gas supply comes through the deck and water had ingressed through this. You may have damage to the cabin lining veneers and if the windows are original, they will start to leak soon and it's a massive job removing them, with a lot of damage that will need repairing. I urge you to find these faults, because they are expensive repairs and this should reflect your offer price. The good news is that the engine comes out really easiliy, if you do need to replace the fuel tanks. Good luck, be cause if you get it for the rigyt price the end result is worth it. Sebastian
psub101
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Tarpin Springs, Florida

Re: 1987 Albin 36 Pre Survey Questions

Post by psub101 »

Sebastian, thanks for the reply! I will evaluate these items best I can.
Thanks,
Steve

Return to “36/37/40/43”