• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE batteries & bow thruster

peteyklondike
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: New Rochelle NY

28TE batteries & bow thruster

Post by peteyklondike »

I Know this is an old thread but I am having a hard time figuring out how to create a new post this is my first time using this group as I am a new Albin owner. I have a 2004 Albin 28 with the engine box that is not the tournament version as it does not have the rocket launchers on the express top. I just started going through the boat and it runs great the Yanmar is smooth and quiet. my issue is happening when I use the bow thruster. it dies out like there is not enough Power for it to keep going so I don't want to keep using it and burn out the bow thruster however coming from a 34 Sea Vee not having 2 motors I like the comfort of having the bow thruster. I'm assuming the issue is the batteries. I have only found 2 batteries on the boat on the starboard side underneath where the captain stands. My friend has the same boat and he has a dedicated battery in the front for the bow thruster and windless. He also another huge battery centerline in front of the engine where my generator is.
So I have a some questions if anyone can help.
is there only two batteries on some Albin's with generators ? or is there somewhere I am not seeing another battery for the bow thruster winch ?
are there other spots or common locations places for batteries that I might be missing ? f not what recommendations for replacing the two batteries tat I have which i am assuming is one house and one start battery and possibly adding another house battery? 1 other thig, I will be installing two Furuno TZ touch 3 12 inch, a Furuno 24 inch NXT radar Dome and a JL sound system. I do not think 1 house battery is enough. Thank you in advance for any assistance
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: 28TE batteries & bow thruster

Post by Nancy »

Hi Petey -- I have moved your post into a new thread.

To create a new post, select a forum section, e.g. "Tournament Express 26-35". About the middle of the screen on the left side, there's a button for "New Topic".
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

Hi Petey,

I have a 2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck, no generator, and two batteries, one behind the transmission, on the centerline, and the other is a bit behind my captains chair, starboard side, the bow thruster takes a lot out of the batteries when used, the draw down is significant, and I only use it when absolutely necessary. I replaced both batteries last year, pic of one of them, they are both the same
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Hi Petey,

I have a 2000 28 engine box with a generator. I have two 4D AGM batteries (one under the helm floor panel, and one just forward of the port side deck hatch / box. Plenty of power for the bow thruster, although it does pull a lot and drops the voltage while I'm using it. I'm running three Garmin 943 XSVs, 24" Fantom Radar, and a fusion stereo. Not really worried about the house bank. The main draw is really the fridge.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
ControlIssues32
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hingham, ma

Post by ControlIssues32 »

Hey Petey,
I have a 2000 28TE with an engine box running (4) group 27 batteries. The batteries are located dead center between to two chairs and i’m on the hook with a couple of solar panels. No generator.

Power isn’t an issue even with the nevercold fridge but the side thruster definitely pulls them down. I typically don’t use the side thruster and noticed the other day the shear pin maybe gone. Just another thing to look at:).

I plan to put in a new fridge but haven’t decided yet.

Akim
2000 28TE/6LP-STE
Yippee Ki Yay
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I used to combine the batteries before using the bow thruster:
My boat had a button on the dash that would combine the start and the house
Bank for 30 seconds, no voltage drop, problem solved.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Since my engine is always running when I'm using the thruster, I've decided it's not worth it for me to have a dedicated bank for it.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Sounds like you have the Yanmar. Do you wait for the heaters to go off before you use the thruster? Those heaters draw a huge amount of amperage and can definitely effect your thruster performance.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Our 99 had two batteries. I would not ever use the thruster unless the engine was running. Our Yanmar did not have the heaters hooked up.
Albin Battery layout.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

catalina_mike wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:35 pm Our 99 had two batteries. I would not ever use the thruster unless the engine was running. Our Yanmar did not have the heaters hooked up.Albin Battery layout.pdf
Concur - I only use thruster with engines running. (Same with windlass).
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

REBMystic wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:14 am
catalina_mike wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:35 pm Our 99 had two batteries. I would not ever use the thruster unless the engine was running. Our Yanmar did not have the heaters hooked up.Albin Battery layout.pdf
Concur - I only use thruster with engines running. (Same with windlass).
Agreed, anything else would be foolish on these boats.
I addition to the obvious, I can highly recommend combing the 2 battery banks when using the bow thruster to avoid a voltage drop that can ruin the thruster motor.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

From that diagram, I'm assuming that there is still only one battery switch on the boat... or is that switch just for the thruster?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”