• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 Deluxe on a Boat Lift

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Albin 25 Deluxe on a Boat Lift

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

What we need is a genius who can design patterns capable of turning your digital renderings into kit plans for a 1 inch = 1 foot scale balsa wood A25 model capable of installing electric RC propulion.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:57 pm What we need is a genius who can design patterns capable of turning your digital renderings into kit plans for a 1 inch = 1 foot scale balsa wood A25 model capable of installing electric RC propulion.

Would be quite hard to make as a wood model with all compound surfaces. The coolest would be to make a plug so one could vacuum form the hull and the top. The top structure is however very challenging to model in regular cad. It need a surface modeling tool
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Thank you!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Would be quite hard to make as a wood model with all compound surfaces. The coolest would be to make a plug so one could vacuum form the hull and the top. The top structure is however very challenging to model in regular cad. It need a surface modeling tool
That's what I kinda figured. I suppose it could be done with thin balsa sheets & strips bent & glued over frames and filled in with thickened epoxy or Bondo auto body putty the way one would build a full size plank on frame boat and then 'glass over with f/g cloth. But yes, a hull and topside with all the compound curves would be a challenge. A 1:12 scale would make a model 25 inches long, perfect for a fireplace mantel or to replace the store bought sailing ship model we have on the shelf of our living room entertainment center above the TV. I built a balsa steam launch model from a hobby kit a few years back, but that was easy, mostly flat surfaces with hard chines. The steam launch model is 19 inches over all with a working steam engine & RC rudder control. But building an Albin 25 model from scratch from DIY lofting plans if one could get them would be a whole other ballgame. Someday in the not too distant future our boat will be sold and we'll move on from boating. Or at least boat ownership & switch to occasional bare boat charters. It would be nice to have a model to remind us of our past adventures.

entertainment center.jpg
WIN_20230819_10_59_58_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

The beams are i-beams, 6" tall, 3 wide. We pull the boat in forward and get it in place before lifting. Photos to follow.
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

IMG_2633.jpeg
IMG_2632.jpeg
IMG_2631.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Took a stab at how it would look if you made a bed from 2 12x2 and bunks by laminating up 4 12x2 on each side. That's how mine are done on the trailer.

You could add some Vee guides to help centering it. look at images I have here on my trailer. You could make them by connecting the bed with the bunks so that the boat would automatically center.

Here you can see the profile at 50 and 75 cm defining the shape.
profiles.png
Here is how it looks like if you move the bunks in to 48" c-c
section at 48.png
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Thank you sir! This is so helpful and kind of you to take the time. I have been tied up the last few days receiving deliver of our 1976 Albin 25. We are working our way through getting it settled in our slip while we modify the lift.
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Thanks again to all who helped, especially Tribologist who took the time to provide some CAD drawings. I forwarded those to the lift manufacturer who came back with this design. Looks pretty good to me, everything is fabricated out of aluminum, but if anyone has any comments or concerns, please let me know.

Thank you.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Albin 25 hull shape has a lot in common with a sailboat hull without a deep fin keel. That said the trick will be to center the hull on the keel support & bunks as your lift is raised. That could be solved by adding guide posts at the widest beam midships & a bow stop just as you would with a trailer. In any case the keel rest should bear most of the hull weight, which will be in the range of +/- 4,500 to 5,000 lbs.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

That kit should work. Probably better than building wood bunks. I will try to update the model to give you the adjustment dimensions.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Thank you!!!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Opened up the model and I dont think anything changes. If you make a taper on the keel bunk so it matches the boat when its in the water and adjust the bunks according to the drawing it should be pretty close.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

If you like them wider you can use these dimensions. Might be a challenge to bend the bunk boards.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

Thank you so much. I will post photos when we get them installed and DuNORD on the lift.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”